SATS in Easter Hols

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DC17C

Re: SATS in Easter Hols

Post by DC17C »

DS did L6 papers last year - there was no big fuss from school. Just a few kids had got to 5a for maths by end of yr5 so did the level 6 work in class - no extras. DS also did the L6 English papers but there was no stress - he took them because he was doing so well with the L5 papers but the teacher told him not to worry - it was all good experience for DS and it did not matter to her if he got the level 6 or not but he was capable and needed a bit of a challenge.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

DC17C wrote:DS did L6 papers last year - there was no big fuss from school. Just a few kids had got to 5a for maths by end of yr5 so did the level 6 work in class - no extras. DS also did the L6 English papers but there was no stress - he took them because he was doing so well with the L5 papers but the teacher told him not to worry - it was all good experience for DS and it did not matter to her if he got the level 6 or not but he was capable and needed a bit of a challenge.

Now you see that sounds sensible and fine. It's some of the other experiences DCs are having above that upsets me. Someone just unfriended me on Facebook about it, lol! So glad he doesn't teach my children. Next thing we'd know they'll be suggesting we start school at age 2 years! I know I know, stupid idea, no one would ever dare suggest that of course!! :roll:
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:My son is doing Level 6 SATs in both Maths and English. I can honestly say, if the school had even suggested giving extra work or coming in for extra sessions, over the holidays, I would frankly have withdrawn him from all the SATs, and the school itself. That is an absolute nonsense in my mind, and I would be very interested in the govt/Ofsted's take on it all. Ridiculous. If the Level 6s have to have extra tuition, then they are not Level 6 - no shame in that - Level 5 is above and beyond govt expectations anyway. I think this is a really very poor state of affairs. To see state schools feeling that they have to manipulate children and results in that way is just shocking and I would not do it to my son for all the tea in China, I'm afraid. It's bad enough that they have just had one week of mocks to do - that is plenty, as far as I am concerned. No wonder very few state secondary schools pay any attention to the SATs levels kids are coming up with - if they are "tutored" by the primary schools to achieve Level 6s then they patently aren't at that level. And, as someone else said - what about the kids who are struggling to achieve their level 4 - or the level 5...are they given the "holiday" teaching as well? Madness.
To be honest, when DS was upset on Friday, pulling him from SATs (and the school) both crossed my mind. It seems that all that they are doing is preparing for the SATs. We've both chilled out now!
z-g

Post by z-g »

In our local primary, all the year 6 have to go in for the extra booster classes in the Easter hols, no matter what level dc's are in.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

What is the point of boosting them? Grrrrrrr. Really annoys me too.
Fortunately my dc primary appears chilled about the process. My ds is doing all the level 6 papers as did my dd last year. No revision necessary at all.

Let them enjoy learning and being children or they'll be put off for life!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Bobmumof3 wrote:What is the point of boosting them? Grrrrrrr. Really annoys me too.
Fortunately my dc primary appears chilled about the process. My ds is doing all the level 6 papers as did my dd last year. No revision necessary at all.

Let them enjoy learning and being children or they'll be put off for life!
Couldn't agree more!

Someone did just point out to me that these schools possibly cashing in on the fact that some, I emphasise, SOME, parents see it as free childcare for a while!

Seems we forgot the children in all this somewhere
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Seems we forgot the children in all this somewhere
well, I am a primary school teacher (not the yr 6 teacher, I hasten to add)

So much hangs on sats, but our year 6 have had fantastic fun, almost all the parents who came to parents' evening said how much their children loved school this year, we have done revision, taught new material and have done about 3 papers all year, mostly working at them collaboratively..Our y6 teacher has been judged as outstanding in school 'audits' and in our ofsted last year ( she moved up with the class) . She had 24 children ranging from level 1 (2 children) to high level 5 and all stages in between

that's how it should be, I can't abide the hothousing
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This is awful - another reason to hate the level 6 papers (which aren't even level 6 in maths anyway).

Your child could be ill all KS2 test week ... :lol:
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

OH has suggested that DD should be sick during SATS week! However, to be fair, although she (among a fair few) is taking the level 6 papers, they have not suggested booster lessons or coming in during the holidays - I honestly don't think they ever would, it's not that kind of school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now