SATs results

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yoyo123

Re: SATs results

Post by yoyo123 »

The Sats levels are just given as a 3, 4 , 5 or 6.

The school is not being funny, teacher assessment which is based on a range of work , rather than on 45 min test should be in sub levels
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

yoyo123 wrote:The Sats levels are just given as a 3, 4 , 5 or 6.

The school is not being funny, teacher assessment which is based on a range of work , rather than on 45 min test should be in sub levels
Yes, we know it's only a snapshot - same as 11+ - but I've got every intention of considering the marks in conjunction with the teacher assessment. Though it does rather beg the question - if a 45-minute test isn't considered to give a reliably accurate result, then why bother doing SATs at all?
Marylou
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

if a 45-minute test isn't considered to give a reliably accurate result, then why bother doing SATs at all?
exactly!
mystery

Post by mystery »

I think the debate on tests versus teacher assessment could go on for ever. They are neither of them completely "reliable", but in different ways and for different reasons.

However, the school does have more information than just 3, 4, 5, 6 and I don't see why they shouldn't share it with you if you are interested. I really detest that superior approach of witholding information from interested parents. It wouldn't take much time at all to provide it to the interested ones. As you say, the secondary schools get it and it was fed into Raise Online and forms part of the progress measures, target setting etc.

I looked round a school the other day (not a grammar) and the head was talking about setting in year 7 very early on in the first term in some subjects. I asked how and she said by KS2 test results and some internal tests. I asked what GCSE results she would expect from a level 5 child. She said it depended on whether it was a low 5 or a high 5. She said that a B was considered acceptable but that for a high 5 she would be expecting an A or A* and monitored children at an individual level to see whether they were on course for this or not and intervened as appropriate.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

mystery - most schools track children like this - we have to to make sure everyone makes at least expected progress.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes I know. That wasn't the point I was making. Sorry if it was not clear.

Hope the op gets more info soon if they want it. G55, you mentioned somewhere that the primary school gave you your child's completed ks2 papers. You said you found that useful. In what way was that?

I think I am correct in saying that the op has no legal right to the papers themselves but should get more detail than just 3, 4 , 5 , 6 etc if they ask. The office for the information commission website has good information on what you can expect from the school record and from exam records. Also, you can phone them for advice.

(It won't be possible to track nc levels in quite the same way soon enough though.)
mystery

Post by mystery »

yoyo123 wrote:
if a 45-minute test isn't considered to give a reliably accurate result, then why bother doing SATs at all?
exactly!
Because teacher assessment is not 100 % reliable either. Pros and cons to both methods.
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

What is happening in the future without levels?

I have a year 2 child and have a Junior school welcome meeting next week.

I would like to ask the right question's regarding assessments....
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

So have we established that we will get the results, albeit possibly just the level, without having to ask? The basic level is part of their final report? I just need to know if I need to ask up front or not.
Neither of their next schools use the sats so although MIT be sent we probably won't see.
mystery

Post by mystery »

pushymother wrote:What is happening in the future without levels?

I have a year 2 child and have a Junior school welcome meeting next week.

I would like to ask the right question's regarding assessments....
Try this thread: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 38&t=37859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Particularly the posts from Moved - they seem the best informed on here on that topic at the moment. It would seem possible that your school hasn't yet decided; it might be a question for the head rather than the class teachers.

Your year 2 child should have been taught the old national curriculum in maths and english this year for the year end assessment of NC levels. There are other year groups that could have been taught the new national curriculum across the board this year if the school so chose as there was a dispensation from the old national curriculum requirements this year for certain year groups to allow a head start on the new national curriculum.

Your child will, however, undertake the new ks2 tests at the end of year 6. You are lucky that they will have happened a few times by the time he/she gets there (the first new KS2 tests are in 2016). The link that G55 refers to in the other thread tells you how his / her KS2 results will be reported to you in 2016.

Quite how the school internally assesses progress and reports it to you between year 2 and year 6 is now up to them. It would be hard to do it via NC levels (I know others on here disagree) because the NC levels are linked to the old national curriculum. It would seem perverse to me to maintain levels based on an old syllabus. I can't see how it would help a teacher or head keep tabs on whether a child had mastered whatever they had chosen to teach them in that subject that year. It does sound as though a lot of schools somehow intend to keep to old levels though. Maybe it's going to take a few years for some schools to develop systems that mesh in nicely with the new curriculum.

This link is helpful:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... -the-tests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look at assessment and reporting arrangements down at the bottom of this page linked to just above, you will see that July 2014 is when using the optional tests for years 3, 4 and 5 as part of an internal assessment of levels linked to the old national curriculum comes to an end (page 6 of the relevant document). So perhaps it is worth asking the school what they are going to do to see if children have mastered the maths / english etc that they have been taught that term / year, and how they are determining which bits of the new curriculum they are teaching and when. Although the new curriculum documents set out some year by year guidance, the surrounding bumph makes it clear that children do not have to be restricted to this in any particular year.