SATs results

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

salsa

Re: SATs results

Post by salsa »

Hi all,
I can think of one reason why the school would not release the sub levels. If not everyone got an improvement of at least 2 sub levels or whatever it is the school's target.
If you don't give all parents the results you save having to give lots of explanations. Remember that not all parents would be that interested or want to upset the school.
I think that very politely a parent can say that they need to know to be able to see if their child is making the right progress at secondary.
Also, that it would be easier to obtain the info from them as there is already a long relationship, etc.

Failing that, get 'heavy' and request it officially!
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Our school has always been pretty good with giving out levels etc - i.e. request it one day and then get it the next (or sent home with DS), but I've now asked twice for the information - and its still not come home.

I've had to go into school a few times recently, and feel that they are being dismissive. I can't help but think that its because we wont be there soon (am not alone in this thought either). Really sad feeling after having had a really good relationship with them.
mystery

Post by mystery »

The levels you have requested in the past are not the externally marked published results though. Maybe they have some reason why they don't like giving out the point scores from the externally marked exams?

Hope you have some luck soon. You shouldn't really have to have excuses and great sounding reasons or fabulous relationships just to get some bog standard data off a file on your child.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Ours are sent out on the end of term reports, (which go home today)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Mummy is a happy bunny as son number two has got the levels we said he would get when we won our grammar appeal, so relief. :D

Our results come in conjunction with end of year report, so teacher assessments are read with results. We are given a comparitive test result chart by gender, the percentage obtained and the numerical level achieved. No sub levels, but you can take a punt from the thresholds on the govt site if you want.

Son number two made me feel two inches tall by saying "life isn't about levels mum, what did they say about my effort and other things. :oops:

both young boys will get a treat this weekend for their effort, whereas son number one, got a Latin book for his. :lol: need I say more!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Just been told by the school that they are not given the information :? We'll have a fairly detailed teacher assessment point score in the report, though. Not sure what to make of it...why do some schools get it and not others?
Marylou
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

We have the print out of what the school gets, and this indeed only gives the level against each subject. We then have the teacher assessments included in the actual report, including the sub-levels. Its my understanding that the SATS don't ever include sub-levels, only the teacher assessments.

JD
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Marylou - what do they say they don't get? Papers are sent back with a mark sheet and the level thresholds are online.

The sub levels are simply calculated .... and they need to do this to work out progress.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Did you ask for point scores or sub levels Marylou? They get point scores. If they say they don't they are either lying or it is the wrong person you are asking.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I must admit I'm not actually going to press for the exact marks for DS2's externally-marked papers as he got the level 6 in all three and is quite happy with that :) . TAs concur with regard to English. Maths a bit different but just about explicable given that he was a 6b last year courtesy of a year's worth of maths lessons being a year 7 girl :lol: but the 6c in Science I am a bit flummoxed by The lovely teacher who takes them for extra maths and the more interesting activities may have been doing more with them than we knew - but we have suggested DS2 regards himself as a 5a in Science, just in case...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now