SATs results

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

Re: SATs results

Post by moved »

The end of KS2 tests are not designed to give sub levels. The model that is used has clusters of marks around the threshold points of 3/4 and 4/5. The marks are put in order of both level and difficulty.

Any sub levels calculated by schools cannot be accurate. I realise that the points children get are converted into sub levels but that isn't the purpose of the tests.

The level 6 papers have a cluster of marks around the 5/6 border.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Guest55 wrote:Marylou - what do they say they don't get? Papers are sent back with a mark sheet and the level thresholds are online.

The sub levels are simply calculated .... and they need to do this to work out progress.
mystery wrote:Did you ask for point scores or sub levels Marylou? They get point scores. If they say they don't they are either lying or it is the wrong person you are asking.
I asked for sublevels or numerical score, whichever was available. I don't believe for one minute that the school is only given the levels, especially as a member of staff with a child in Y6 was overheard saying that her child was "only a few marks off a...whoops"! I really can't understand why parents are being fobbed off like this but won't make a fuss as I'm sure a quick inquiry to the new school in September will yield the required information.

I understand the point about sublevels but surely a numerical score must be available in order to work out the levels! :?
Marylou
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi all,
I've had a few PMs, about the Data Protection Act. I'm copying from a document I found. I will try to copy the link here, but don't know if it will let me, if not, here is an extract:

ACCESS TO PERSONAL DATA – PUPIL RIGHTS
The Data Protection Act gives all school students, regardless of age, the right of access to their
school pupil records. Requests to see or receive copies of records should be made in writing to
the head teacher. In addition to the right to be given a copy of the educational record,
Student’s are entitled to be given a description of the personal data which makes up the record,
together with details of the purposes for which the data are processed, the sources of the data
(if known) and the individuals or organizations to which the data may have been disclosed.

A period of up to 15 school days is allowed in which to respond to a subject access request.
(The equivalent period for other types of record is up to 40 days.) If asked to provide a hard
copy of the record, a fee may be charged according to the number of pages. Students may be
asked for information to verify their identity if necessary, for instance in the case of former pupils
who may not be currently known to the school. They may also be asked for information
necessary to locate the data held about them. For instance a student may be asked to supply
the dates between which he or she attended the school.

While in principle students have a right of access to the whole of their educational records, in
exceptional cases some information may be withheld. The main exemptions are for information
which might cause harm to the physical or mental health of the student or a third party, information which may identify third parties (for
example other pupils, although not teachers), and information which forms part of some court
reports. Information may also be withheld if in that particular case it would hinder the prevention
and detection of crime or the prosecution or apprehension of offenders to provide it.

If students are incapable of understanding or exercising their own rights under the Data
Protection Act, (for instance because they are too young), parents can, of course, make subject
access requests on their behalf.

ACCESS TO PERSONAL DATA – PARENTAL RIGHTS
In addition to the subject access right which can be exercised by pupils or by parents acting on
behalf of pupils, parents have their own independent right of access to the official educational
records of their children
. In essence the information to which parents are entitled and the
exemptions are the same as for pupils, although there is no parental right of access to
information which does not form part of the official record. Requests to see or receive copies of
the educational records of their children should be made in writing

WHAT ABOUT MANUAL FILING SYSTEMS DATA?
A major change under the new Act is that it now makes certain data held in manual or paper
form subject to the data protection rules. For the first time individuals whose personal
information is recorded manually will, in some cases, have a right to see that information and
make corrections if necessary.

http://www.belb.org.uk/downloads/foi_ne ... t_1998.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy reading!

Salsa

By the way, I requested my son's results in writing and informally! I think it is better to try the diplomatic way first.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Thanks Salsa!

Tried informally in writing, didn't work. Still a bit taken aback by it all!
Marylou
salsa

Post by salsa »

Bizarre! Surely they know it's your right to have the information. The Act has been around since 1998! Although even before I bet schools, in general, were more obliging!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Marylou wrote:Thanks Salsa!

Tried informally in writing, didn't work. Still a bit taken aback by it all!
It is a valid subject access request whether or not you consider it to have been an "informal" request.

I do hope you pursue it. I think they are being rude to you and flouting the law too. You would do other parents a favour if you moved forward with this.

A telephone adviser at the ICO would tell you to report it to them as a concern I am sure - but you would probably be advised to follow up your request first. If they have made it clear that they are refusing your request and not intending to respond with the data within the right timescale this is already sufficient proof you have given them a reasonable chance to respond.

Good luck.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I just had a thought....if this has never happened before, it may be that the school are appealing about one child's test results, so are withholding all numerical marks. Maybe ?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

southbucks3 wrote:I just had a thought....if this has never happened before, it may be that the school are appealing about one child's test results, so are withholding all numerical marks. Maybe ?
Certainly possible - in which case why not just say so? :?
Marylou
annie321

Post by annie321 »

My daughter's teacher gave them all their SATs results, which included sub-levels.
Dande

Post by Dande »

We are still waiting for our school to let us know the results. Can't believe they are taking this long to put a letter together.

I'm sure they enjoy the power too much.

:evil:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now