Early KS1 questions

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Early KS1 questions

Post by Amber »

The last primary school I worked in grouped children vertically for phonics. Literally from Y1 to Y6. It was timetabled at the same time every morning and the groups were very small as all staff were used. I think the largest benefit was to the less able older children who had somehow missed out some of the basic stuff the first time round but because every single group was mixed it wasn't very obvious who was 'behind' and who the bright sparks were.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

That's interesting re the phonics, but I guess it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the link Mystery, really helpful. The 'English' lesson is everything bar phonics...it's a small infant school so everything small scale!
I don't think the teachers seemed concerned as such about her absences, if anything, I was the one who was concerned. In terms of losing ground and keeping up etc.. but instead of hearing words of advice and suggestion for keep-up work at home, they were eagerly remarking on the fact that they would never know she was a) hardly there.. and b) one of the youngest!
I guess if she makes the expected grade, they'll be happy...but keeping achievement on par with ability might be somewhat trickier to achieve. I shall have to keep an open ear and an open mind! Thank you!
mystery

Post by mystery »

I am so glad that school seems to have "clicked" without you having to say or do anything. It's so much better for relationships and also it gives you confidence that they are on top of the situation.

Your actions from now on pretty much depend on what you are aiming for longer term.

Our school is small too and I find that leads to less rather than more consistency. So some years, depending on who the teacher is (or whether or not they have a teacher or are on supply), a lot is learned and other years next to nothing. I am talking here from my observations of what my children can actually do - somehow their NC levels (not that you will have these anymore for your year 1 child) do seem to continue to rise even when there seems to be no appreciable difference in their skills and knowledge.

I usually give it a few months at the start of each school year to decide whether this is a year where I can sit back or if it's one where I need to do a little at home quite regularly if we get the chance.

It sounds like you have a DD who is interested in the academic side of things - long may she continue to enjoy it and I hope her health improves more consistently too.
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Thanks Mystery, the long term aim as I suppose it is with all, is simply for her to achieve her full potential. And having learned some lessons from our experiences with DD1, have made a conscious effort to stick my oar in a little more if need be. I generally believed what I was told before, whether that was positive or not, but as I since discovered with DD1, positive feedback can mask a whole lot more than it reveals! And of course, you see the difference in your children that from early can reveal their natural tendencies..DD1 is literate, arty and creative..and although she has always done well in maths, she loathes the subject, and is simply not maths or science orientated at all. DD2 from an early age showed an amazing ability to figure things out...the love of puzzles from before she could talk, the child proof locks that kept DD1 out of the cupboards for years, were mastered before she could even walk. The safety gate in a theme park that had a large group baffled...opened cool as a cucumber when she was only 2.
The nature versus nurture topic springs to mind...DH has a long line of engineering ancestors..and likes to think it's nature..well that's his theory :) But either way, she loves science, loves drawing inferences and is always pointing out connections & patterns...things DD1 never did. I'm hoping I can nurture that in some way, as to how or where that is likely to fit within her class curriculum objectives, I have no idea, but I guess it's a good place to start!
Thanks for all your kind words of advice, very much appreciated
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now