KS2 SATs - practice work

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tolstoy

Re: KS2 SATs - practice work

Post by Tolstoy »

Amber wrote:
Daogroupie wrote: In Y7 at my dd's school some students find it very hard to adjust to three pieces of homework every night having done very little work for most of Year Six. Students who have knuckled down to Sats don't have this problem. DG
I have honestly never come across Y7 children collapsing with anxiety over homework they can't cope with. Nothing that a sit down with a parent and a bit of a chat hasn't sorted out. As you know, I wouldn't let my kids do homework at primary school (something they now tease me rotten for, incidentally) and I acknowledge this may have been an extreme stance, but there were certainly no problems with coping at their (superselective, sorry horrid term) grammar school. There was no 'knuckling down to SATs' either - rather getting as much fresh air and down time as they could to get away from the pressure at school. Maybe my lot were so grateful to be finally allowed to do homework that they threw themselves at it with unbridled enthusiasm and gratitude when they got to Y7. :wink:
Wish mine had :( .
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

KS2: What do school's use to assess a child's reading age, i.e. tests/reading scheme .... ?
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are various commercial tests on the market ...
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Guest55 wrote:There are various commercial tests on the market ...
Thanks Guest55 that would be useful :) obviously without 'advertising products' (Moderator will not be happy :lol: ) perhaps an idea as to what I should be searching for ... so hard to know what is the right product, being a mere parent :wink:
Heartmum x x x
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Different schools use different tests, usually 3 times a year.

We currently use the Salford Sentence Reading Test. All reading tests have quite wide confidence limits and a picture is built up over time. You really need to compare like with like, so a different test may show wide variation.

Also if a child is a good reader it can look like they are making little progress. Standardised scores give an idea of where the child is in relation to their peers, but a reading test is used in conjunction with other information. Tests like Neale also give a comprehension score.

The old Salford and Daniel's & Diack are in the public domain, but quite old fashioned.

They are not normally used outside school.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Thanks yoyo123 will have a look at these :)
Heartmum x x x
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

When listening to reading, for assessments, do schools take into account any speech defects, i.e. lisp?
Heartmum x x x
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Yes, they would be ignored
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Thanks yoyo123 :)

DC has a slight lisp/can get tongue tied (due to a medical condition, now corrected but has affected clarity of speech) and when pronouncing words (although fully knowing the word/meaning etc) can give the impression that she is not sure of the word. I have been reading with DC in these holidays and when a word appears to be spoken incorrectly I have asked what the word is; she has fully understood the word, its meaning and the context in which it has been put. I ask this as when assessed at school for reading text DC came out 10+ months lower than when tested by an Ed.Psych. (around same time) who acknowledged the lisp and took that into account (mentioned in report). As the Ed.Psych. results were higher they actually carried out two reading tests to double-check levels, both coming out higher than the school assessment.
Heartmum x x x