Will be glad when SATS are over!

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dollydripmat

Re: Will be glad when SATS are over!

Post by Dollydripmat »

Is this the norm at most primary schools ?Our school is running a lot of extra booster sessions and revision for particular groups to get them from a 4 to a level 5. Some of the kids are finding the extra work quite hard. My DD only has two extra sessions for level 6 in Maths and English, along with practice Sats papers. Maybe it's wrong but I'm actually not bothered if my DD takes or gains Level 6. I feel attaining high 5's is a great achievement already (and fine for GS ) or should I be pushing her more to be certain of level 6????? :? Dollyxxxx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There will be a push on the KS1 level 2a children to get them to level 5 so they make three levels of progress; nationally about half of children make this step.

A high level 5 is fine and there is nothing to be gained from a KS2 level 6 ...
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Thanks for replying G55, I agree re level 6, I would rather my DD be a very secure level 5A , than a push for level 6. To be fair she is personally quite motivated and determined but I was hoping she could relax a little after this last year (11+etc), or maybe it's me that wants to relax and chill out more :D !!! Dollyxxxx
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I have pencilled in my mind the evening of the 14th May 2015 after the last SAT's in about 3 weeks when my dd's school will ease the pressure and she can enjoy the last few weeks of her primary education.The home work will wind right down and they can start rehearsing in school for their leavers play

How did we get through our education without such distractions?.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

she can enjoy the last few weeks of her primary education.The home work will wind right down and they can start rehearsing in school for their leavers play
Lovely for her - poor secondary teachers trying to get them back to the level they were in May when they have 'coasted' for nearly four months. Why do Primary schools do this?

I'm all for enrichment activities and Year 6 residentials but four monnths is too long.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There is eight or nine weeks between the end of Sats and the end of term. If they do nothing for the rest of term and then have that big old holiday doing nothing they really would have gone backwards by September. DG
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Daogroupie wrote:There is eight or nine weeks between the end of Sats and the end of term. If they do nothing for the rest of term and then have that big old holiday doing nothing they really would have gone backwards by September. DG

Will they really go backwards? What about living life,fun and laughter.The play is about literature,public speaking and confidence.The sun is out and the tutor is as well.To be replaced by cricket. Rachael Hayhoe Flint went to my dds new school that is something to aspire to in cricketing terms.In the week we hear about the emotional pressures girls are under between 13 and 16 and the impacts on mental health we have to look at the emotional well being of our offspring.

Over a thousand girls took the 11+ exam at her new school for about 145 places.In the two years prior to the exams I told my dd once the exams were over the pressure was off from us.If I can't keep my word to my dd what message am I giving to her.When I am no longer around(later rather than sooner) will she remember the exams she took or her happy childhood. :lol: :lol: :lol:
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All I'm asking for is a balance - the school should keep Maths and English going or they are at risk from Ofsted.

I'm all for enrichment and fun - there is the summer and afternoons for that!
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

DDs school put on a special week of breakfast club and wake up activities during SATs week to get the Y6s ready, all funded by the PTA. Great way of making sure the children are ready for the day.

I do think that the time afterwards can be a bit hit and miss with the learning. Some schools do continue with academics but in a fun project based way and others just relax.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now