Where to move in Amersham for primary schools

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Shikhamittaluk

Where to move in Amersham for primary schools

Post by Shikhamittaluk »

Hi All,

I am considering to move to Amersham. Currently my daughter is in year1 so I would be moving for year2.

She is academically very bright so which areas/postcodes I should be looking for schools.
Can anyone suggest whether they will be vacancies in the middle years.
Also what about the travel from Amersham to Central London as both of us work in the city.

Thanks,
Guest55

Re: Where to move in Amersham for primary schools

Post by Guest55 »

Bucks CC won't tell you where there are spaces until you have an address in Bucks - KS1 places are very rare as good schools will be full.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes ans, because of the ks1 class size legislation, gaining a place on appeal if the class size is already 30 or more is rare.

But, bucks cc is obliged to find a school place if you do not have one. I don't know what the furthest away is that they would place a year 2 child. If all were full within that distance I guess they direct a school to take your child and it is a permitted reason for going over 30.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

One of the schools in that area that will have places is not one I'd have wanted my child to attend ...
Justinterested

Post by Justinterested »

I was feeling bad for you as you have only received negative replies. I am no expert on this but Rightmove has a school checker on its website so if you locate a house you can see which schools you are in catchment for. Secondly if you google Bucks County Council Primary School vacancies this lists all schools and what vacancies they have in each year. Obviously this is the current situation and could change daily but may give you an idea of your chances .Good luck .
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... ing-lists/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wasn't being negative - just realistic.

If you scroll down on the above page you can see the position for September 2015.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Justinterested wrote:I was feeling bad for you as you have only received negative replies. I am no expert on this but Rightmove has a school checker on its website so if you locate a house you can see which schools you are in catchment for. Secondly if you google Bucks County Council Primary School vacancies this lists all schools and what vacancies they have in each year. Obviously this is the current situation and could change daily but may give you an idea of your chances .Good luck .

I would be very cautious about using rightmove's school checker, having looked at the results for schools around me and knowing what the reality actually is. According to them I'm highly unlikely to get a place at a school I know to be undersubscribed as just one example. I know others have seen similar in other areas. At best it can be used to find what the local schools actually are, but no more. It is probably worse than useless as it is at present.
Justinterested

Post by Justinterested »

Yes Tinkers That is what I was trying to suggest . Use Rightmove to check on local schools then go to Bucks CC primary school vacancies list to see current position .
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Sadly Rightmove can't even get catchments correct either.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It also doesn't understand 11+ selection ...