New curriculum levels - what do they mean

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: New curriculum levels - what do they mean

Post by Guest55 »

Those levels BBandB were just for review - Bucks schools can (and are) doing their own thing!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Guest55 wrote:Those levels BBandB were just for review - Bucks schools can (and are) doing their own thing!
So even the old levels weren't always used across the board then, G55? All of our reports from the start had them on so I assumed it was how all (Bucks) schools used them. Seem to remember a science teacher telling me off for making assumptions :lol: :oops:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry, I meant the A, B, C and D that Heads are meant to use.

Sublevels were never defined and did vary between schools ...
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Interesting; I never knew that. Do you have the link to the doc that says about A,B,C,D? All I could find was exceeding etc and no letters, so I would be interested to read that :-) Thanks.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's on the HT review sheet - I can't link to it but have copied it:

"3. Progress chart –
For the period up to the end of Y4 please record the standard KS2 evaluation for the child.
For the period from the end of Y5 to the end of the Key Stage prediction please indicate whether you have continued to use Key Stage tracking. Alternatively indicate whether the pupil is A = below B = at expected C = above expected or D = significantly above the average age expected tracking you are using. "
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I like the Bucks review sheet system and I know a whole lot of people who truly never got to grips with levels who would love them too. All most people want to know is. Have I got a genius on my hands = D? Is my children bright enough to do A'levels uni etc =C. Are they average so possibly further ed or possibly get a job and work way up? = B. Are they struggling academically? =A so lets get a good trade behind them and they will be fine. And so clever to do them in reverse order so the A grade students are no longer that with all it entails. :)

OH still asks if the sub-levels go a,b,c or c,b,a and this is a parent who lives in a house with someone who would talk education in their sleep.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Tolstoy wrote: OH still asks if the sub-levels go a,b,c or c,b,a and this is a parent who lives in a house with someone who would talk education in their sleep.
:lol: I did exactly this on Sunday night!
Munster

Post by Munster »

My DC's school has put in place this terminology: Working below, at expected, above and exceeding. My DC also came home and said they have started to use the word secure now? It is all so confusing. :? Just wondering how this would compare to old levels?

At appeal are the panel going to know that schools use different terminology. I know of some that do. Any advice would be really helpful
cazien

Post by cazien »

Munster wrote:My DC's school has put in place this terminology: Working below, at expected, above and exceeding. My DC also came home and said they have started to use the word secure now? It is all so confusing. :? Just wondering how this would compare to old levels?

At appeal are the panel going to know that schools use different terminology. I know of some that do. Any advice would be really helpful

I do feel sorry for anyone who has to appeal and the appeal panel itself. Unless the panel receives a detailed report from Primary schools, I don't see how working levels are going to be adjudicated during an appeal.

My DC's school has Emerging, Developing and Secure for their working levels now, and they apply to that year only. If they are working at a level above their year group they are "Secure", so parents would not know until the following year if their child is "advanced". When questioned the Head said they did not want to promote "advancement beyond current year", but just ensure a child is working at the level they should be for their year group.

Confused? Demoralised? I think everyone is! :evil: :roll:
Munster

Post by Munster »

Thanks Cazien.

It is all so confusing :? as you said. It sounds like any appeal panel (this is for Gloucestershire) are going to find it a bit confusing too as I know of primary schools that all use different terminology. I just wonder how the panel at ones appeal will interpret this?