Withdraw from SATS

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SlighlyStressedMum

Re: Withdraw from SATS

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

Could someone clarify how they link to the GCSE pass rates please? Have I misunderstood or are you saying that they set the GCSE pass rates based on expected progress from SATs results? If this is the case does that not then mean that GCSE grades are not comparable from one year to the next because an A* may not require as high a mark one year as the next (I mean comparing individuals not the year as a whole)?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The percentage of level 4s of the whole national cohort is looked at when the A* to C grade boundaries are decided. So the A* to C passes in English dropped one year because that cohort was weaker at KS2.
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

That's what I thought you meant. So it was easier to get an A* that year? That's kind of unfair on other years when it's harder surely? I thought there would have been a percentage needed year on year, for example you need to get 80% to get an A or something and this remains the same.
You learn something new everyday I guess!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Not necessarily - they use descriptive criteria for a grade A [it's in the specification] then A* is set from that.

The raw marks for an A* do vary each year as it depends how hard the paper is - that has always been true in recent years.

When I did A levels they were norm referenced ie a certain percentage of the cohort got each grade.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest55 wrote:The percentage of level 4s of the whole national cohort is looked at when the A* to C grade boundaries are decided. So the A* to C passes in English dropped one year because that cohort was weaker at KS2.
So you mean they try to make it that the same percentage of that cohort that got level 4s get grades a* to c at GCSE?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's not as crude as that - but a weaker year at KS2 can't get a higher A* to C than the year before.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

SlighlyStressedMum wrote:I considered withdrawing my yr 6, not because I don't want him doing the tests but because I am unhappy with the pressure from the school. All yr 6 have been issued with practice and revision booklets, this is all their homework will consist of from this point onwards. I imagine it's mainly what they are learning too in school. There is also pressure to attend 3 days of Sats revision during the Easter holidays (which parents must pay the school for). My child won't be attending.

:twisted: This sort of behaviour really gets my goat. What about those DC whose parents can't afford the extra tuition? Once again this is selection by economic status as there are secondary schools that set using these results. It's unfair enough that many of these type of DC will have been prepped at home anyway. Will have been encouraged to do the homework and helped with concepts they haven't fully grasped in the classroom setting. It is totally un-acceptable for the school to be re-enforcing this sort of inequality by charging for lessons.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Paying for additional classes?!

ALL of the additional sessions we run for GCSE or A level are free.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I'd tell them to take a running jump! I would, really. This is not something I would just not have dc attend, I would be vociferous in my protests. I think thats a disgrace.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Yamin151 wrote:I'd tell them to take a running jump! I would, really. This is not something I would just not have dc attend, I would be vociferous in my protests. I think thats a disgrace.
Totally agree Yamin but the problem is some parents will pay. Some will worry that their DC will be penalised, some will see it as convenient child care. It all adds to this almighty rat race to achieve better and better and ultimately leads to more unrealistic results. :roll: I am appalled that a state school is allowed to behave this way. I do hope they have at least stated that DC who wish to attend but whose parents can't afford it are allowed to?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now