Class teacher is biased! Please help

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Red rose

Class teacher is biased! Please help

Post by Red rose »

Hi, my DD is in Y5 and one among the top performing kids in the class. Her class teacher is being biased. She has her favourite kid in the class and this kid's works are being appreciated always in the class. The teacher always comments that the particular kid is the best in the class and his works are the ones she always look forward to. This is really bringing my DD's confidence down and I feel it's not fair on all other kids in the classroom. Most of the kids in her class are preparing for 11+ including my DD. Being a most important year for these kids, I strongly disagree with the teacher's behaviour. Could you all please let me know your views on how should I react? Should I raise this concern to the class teacher itself? I am confused and worried as I don't want my DD to be upset and lose her confidence because of this teacher's unacceptable behaviour.
Thanks in advance.
Guest55

Re: Class teacher is biased! Please help

Post by Guest55 »

You would need hard evidence - not just your daughter's comments which she may have misinterpreted.
Red rose

Post by Red rose »

Thank you Guest55 for your reply.
What kind of evidence? All I have got is my DD's repeated information that she has been giving for the past couple of months. Even the teacher mentioned this kid's name during our last parent's evening meeting saying that your daughter is very lucky to have (her favourite kid's name) as her table mate.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Do you know whether any other parents of children in the class feel the same way? If other parents also see it as a problem you might have more of a case you can raise with the school?
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Are there any parent helpers you know? Maybe you could see if any of them have witnessed it? I certainly witnessed such things when I was a helper.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Good point Proud_Dad - I think this could be a sensitive matter to bring up if it's just from one parent's viewpoint.
Amber

Post by Amber »

BucksBornNBred wrote:Are there any parent helpers you know? Maybe you could see if any of them have witnessed it? I certainly witnessed such things when I was a helper.
Tell the Head, and ask him or her to ask the classroom assistants about it. These things do happen, sadly, but your child's word alone won't count for anything. Other staff who work in the room can be asked in total confidence whether the teacher treats all children fairly and that ought to reveal any issues.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Amber wrote:Other staff who work in the room can be asked in total confidence whether the teacher treats all children fairly and that ought to reveal any issues.
Other staff are still staff and are part of the system, which is why I suggested a parent who had witnessed the favouritism.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Red rose wrote:Even the teacher mentioned this kid's name during our last parent's evening meeting saying that your daughter is very lucky to have (her favourite kid's name) as her table mate.
Did you not ask why the teacher thought that? I would like to know if it were my DC... If the teacher ever says this sort of thing to you again, I would explain politely that you think it's a bit unfair to 'talk up' one particular child all the time at the expense of other children's confidence suffering.

These sort of things should not happen, but unfortunately, sometimes they do. Are you aware of other parents hearing the same story from their DCs? If yes, it may be worth taking it up with the school, but otherwise I think you would be wasting your energy trying to change it - you probably won't, anyway. Tell you DD not to pay attention to it and give her a lot of praise at home for her efforts. Half-term is coming soon, then there is Easter break and before you know it, your DD will have a new teacher, and hopefully all the current issues will disappear.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

PurpleDuck wrote:Tell you DD not to pay attention to it and give her a lot of praise at home for her efforts. Half-term is coming soon, then there is Easter break and before you know it, your DD will have a new teacher, and hopefully all the current issues will disappear.
Hear, hear! Sometimes, as someone so eloquently put on another thread, you just have to suck it up! This is a life lesson, learn it and move on. Next year, she maybe the chosen one - she won't be complaining of the injustice then ...

JD