SATS predicted scores

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

minniemousemat

SAT's

Post by minniemousemat »

Here is Wales we don't have SAT's - just the SAT's (not) which seem to be SAT's but sa they don't have them any more they have to call therm somehting else. Yes, they have 6,5 4 levels etc. just the same.

As a very old mother, I would say don't worry too much about the marks as I've noticed that good exam results never seem to correlate with those that make a lot of money in later life, only with those that lie somewhere in the middle. I know money isn't everything and that your really wanted yr child to become an Oxford professor but it may be a comforting thought.

in response

Post by Guest »

hi my son is currently in year 5. last summer (yr4), with his at the end of year report they sent us his levels scored in optinal yr 4 tests. he started in his current school in september 2005. so going back, the school before this one also provided yr2 SATs results and again year 3 optional test's results along with end of the year reports. so i think the school is suppose to supply results at the end of year (obviously if your child sat in optonal tests). otherwise you should ask school. i hope it is help.
becky

sats results writing

Post by becky »

i'm concerned that my year 6 daughter achieved a level 4 in her writting sats this year but with an overall level 5 for english, but managed a level 5 for writing the previous year. how can she have gone down a level in a year. she passed the eleven plus and has a grammar school place but i am now worried that she may struggle in her literacy classes.

Post by Guest »

Becky,

If overall is L5, I wouldn't worry. Could of missed written L5 by a few marks, this time, and is therefore probably shown as a L4a. Overall mark is the key one.
:D

BW
becky

Post by becky »

thanks, I'm not a believer in sats but im still interested in my childs results. I couldn't understand how a child can come out with a lower score a year on in their education. Is it like the 11+ performance on the day?
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

becky wrote: Is it like the 11+ performance on the day?
Yes, Absolutely.

I've heard in many a governor meeting at our Junior school the Head lament this very notion. A snapshot on one day, where a child could not be up to par, due to number of varying factors, all outside of the control of the school.
Be Proud, she's done very well!

:)

BW
Hilda

Post by Hilda »

Maybe last year's writing question played to her strengths whereas this years did not, e.g factual report vs descriptive passage. What was the TA (teacher assessment) last year and this year. Teacher assessment should really be a better indicator of a child's performance (if done properly) since it is a general overview of your child's level, not her performance on one piece of writing on one day.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Primary schools can do "optional sats" which are QCA optional tests, so for year 3, 4 , 5 they can use teh appropriate tests for teh year, they don't have to use the KS1 orKS2 (year 2 and 6 ) papers.

If you want to know more about the tests and national curriculum levels you can look on teh QCA or DFES sites. The latter has publications which you can order , many free of charge and aimed at parents. Well worth a look.

Teh curriculum levels are of use to teh school to predict and set individual targets. I think sometimes as parents we get a bit too hung up on teh numbers.
LOUISANS

Sats

Post by LOUISANS »

Sats is no headache unless your child gets under level 4 that means they need to work harder