SATS predicted scores

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

guest678

predicted sats scores

Post by guest678 »

Hello Catherine

Thank you for clarifying sats. Have a way to go before my children face 11 plus and sats in year 6, but it has been very interesting to read posts!
bucksguest

Post by bucksguest »

Help. I have just received my child's school report. He is in year 3 at local state primary and was given SAT scores in Maths English Reading and English Writing. He received 3b for everything - is this average for his age as the school gave no explanatory notes. I was disappointed at he had been in the top sets so thought he would do better especially as he achieved level 3 in his Y2 Sats.

Post by Guest »

Hi Im no expert but as far as i am aware KS1 and KS2 are completely different. Level 3 at KS1 (above national average)is different to level 3 at KS2. Level 3B seems above average as the attainment level for year 6 is Level 4 with the average pupil moving up 1 whole number every 2 years so your child should be 4b by year 5 meaning he could achieve a higher level by year 6. Hope this helps and i apologise in advance if ive mislead you.

Claire
Sakura

Post by Sakura »

Hello, bucksguest

I suspect your child’s teacher didn’t simply let your child try higher tier papers.
3b is average/above average for Year 3, but certainly not average value added if your child had already achieved 3c’s at the end of Year 2.
As you may know, Y3 & Y4 are not official SAT’s year, so the teacher has choices to use KS1 Papers (up to L3) or KS2 Papers (up to L5) to do the assessments.

Why not do it yourself, I used ‘National Test Pack’ from BBC/QCA. There is good parent guide in it and you will know how unreliable these teachers’ assessments could be!
Sarah Jane

Post by Sarah Jane »

At our local primary school we have not received any sats results since the beginning of KS2. We, as parents, have had to badger the school for the information and our respective class teachers have advised that they have to ask the headteacher if they can be supplied and then we have to wait until parents evening. We then ask for them again and are then advised that as we have asked for them then the we can have them, but only whether they are 4 or 5( not a,b or c). This is getting most frustrating as you don't know whether your child is progressing or stagnating or what.
Does anyone else experience problems in getting their sats results and are the school only obliged to give them or should they officially give them?

Please advise
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Hi,
My daughter's school finished on 30th June for the summer hols.

They had a school report a few days before, but school said they hadn't had the sats results yet. :x

But strangely my daughter seems to have heard through the grapevine at school that she got all level 5's ??? :oops:
Anyway should get to the bottom of this mystery in Sept as my two youngest children still go to the same Primary as she did.

Then again will all her records have been transfered to Grammar by then????

Very frustrating and confusing !! :evil:

Footymad.
KenR

Sat Results

Post by KenR »

The school are obliged to give the results within 15 days of them being received by the school from QCA. The following is an extract from the instructions to headteachers from the QCA site http://www.qca.org.uk :-
Reporting Results - The key Stage 2 test levels awarded must be reported to parents within 15 school days of the return of results to schools, alongside the end of key stage teacher assessment levels. If the outcome of a review is pending, schools should report test results as provisional. Parents should also receive a summary giving the proportion of pupils awarded each level in the school this year and nationally in 2005. Please refer to the key stage 2 Assessment and school reporting arrangements booklet for full information on reporting to parents (pages 68-70). Schools may if they wish give the marked scripts to pupils.
You can find the above documents on the QCA web site - just do a search using KS2 2006 - you will find a range of document.

I would make a formal written request to the head (you can quote the above) - and if this fails to deliver the goods, then I would complain to the LEA.

For info, I only just got the results for my son on Monday with his end of term report.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Sarah Jane

Re: Sat Results

Post by Sarah Jane »

[quote="KenR"]The school are obliged to give the results within 15 days of them being received by the school from QCA. The following is an extract from the instructions to headteachers from the QCA site http://www.qca.org.uk :-

KenR

Thanks for this most helpful! I will let the other parents know. I don't mind getting them with the end of year reports, but not getting them at all and having to beg and plead for them is just not on. I don't think it is fair on the children, because if we as parents cannot get an "official" result of their progress and strngths and weaknesses how can we work with the school to help our children.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Sarah Jane

Your original posting said you had not recieved reporrts on SATs levels since the BEGINNING of KS2, what year is your child in at the moment?

Within the KS2 structure, schools ONLY have to report the year 6 results. Some schools choose to to allow their children complete OPTIONAL tests in years 3,4 and 5, the school does not have to complete them, even if they do they are NOT obliged to formally report the results.

A bit barmy I know, so if your school took place in optional tests, they do not have to report the scores, but if you formally ask, they must give you any information they have on your child.

Patricia
Sarah Jane

Post by Sarah Jane »

Thanks for this Patricia. My son is currently in year 5 and when he returns to school in September he will be in Year 6. Every year they have opted to complete a formal SATS assessment, but I take on board what you have said about they only have to supply them for Year 6 or if formally requested. Like you, I still think it is a bit barmy that they don't official supply them with the reports as they do for KS1, because they want us as parents to work with the schools on our childs development, but don't share information readily.

Hey ho