How many kids get SAT level 5?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

not sure when they ceased, there has been some discussion about this quite recently. I'll go back and have a look.!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I couldn't find an exact date, but a 2006 post mentioned that "up until about 4 years ago" there had been a level 6 paper. Not all schools put the children in for this though. It wasn't done at my daughter's primary.

This might be of interest

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=2850
Demon Pixie

Post by Demon Pixie »

Thanks for that Yoyo
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS2SAT.htm

has some old 'extension' papers - might be of interest.

Also the QCA site has extension tasks for the more able -

http://www.qca.org.uk/qca_9222.aspx
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Guest55 wrote: has some old 'extension' papers - might be of interest.
Guest55, would you know how these questions relate to KS3 L6? would they be comparable to a '6c' for example or just touching on the bottom of even this level?

Thanks

BW
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They do not cover the whole of level 6 - pupils I taught that had gained a KS2 level 6 were usually very able but did have 'gaps'.

The tests were stopped because few children succeeded - it was felt to be uneconomic to produce the papers which were failed by quite a high % who sat them.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

It is possible to find out straight from the DfES exactly what proportions of children received level 5s in any one year. I e-mailed them a couple of years ago (sorry have lost the reply) and they sent me an Excel spreadsheet with the overall percentages for each subject.

It was surprisingly high ( approx 40%) sticks in my mind. But it might be that this was a percentage of those that were not disapplied from the SATs, rather than a percentage of the population as a whole. One would need to check.

Anyhow, it left me with the feeling that Level 5 ability was no way proof of grammar school ability. But also, as the SATs are testing completely different things from the 11+, it is possible to pass to 11+ and have some 4s at KS2. One measures raw intelligence in some way (hopefully) and the other tests how well the KS2 curriculum has been taken in by the child (as they are really supposed to be a measure of schools not children).

I therefore wonder why such information is really that much use to an Appeals panel. I suppose it just helps as part of a picture, but I don't know if appeals panels are familiar with the actual percentage of the population achieving level 5s.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Latest data I have seen was:

2007 KS2 national
English 33% level 5
Maths 32% level 5
Science 46% level 5

level 5 in both English & Maths 22%

Hence why they are important for GS entry
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I would urge parents to view level 5s cautiously and as only one of several indicators of their child's ability. My eldest son was 4A in maths, 4B in reading and 4c in writing at the end of year 5. My second son was level 5 in all of these subjects at the end of year 5. All tests were externally marked QCA tests rather than teacher assessments. Both boys passed the 11+ but my eldest son scored a very high mark, despite recovering from a bad illness at the time, whereas my second son passed by only 10 marks. One of my second son's friends was a level 5 in maths and reading and he regrettably didn't pass. My eldest son, having not achieved any level 5s at the end of year 5 is now thriving in his grammar school and is in the top sets for both maths and english.

Unless you have an obvious genious on your hands, assessing your child's suitability for grammar school is a very difficult task. And unfortunately some parents put a grammar down as first choice "just in case" without giving any thought whatsoever to whether or not their child would cope. I've been fortunate enough to be very involved in my children's primary school as a governor, helper and general nosy busybody! I've taken every opportunity to pick the brains of teachers, parents on the playground to try to get a feel for my children's ability in relation to their peers and to understand the system. Yet still, with my eldest, I had no idea whether he would pass or whether he would struggle in a grammar school. All you can really do is try and understand your child's potential and limitations and, having taken as much advice on board as you can, trust your own instincts! But please, don't think "straight level 5s at the end of year 5 - bound to pass" or "no level 5s at the end of year 5 - no chance of passing"!!
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Guest55 wrote:
level 5 in both English & Maths 22%
Hi Guest55,
Do you know what the percentage is for level 5 in English, Maths and Science?

Thanks
Scatshouse
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now