Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pumpkinoune

level threshold

Post by pumpkinoune »

i am a bit confused: my daughter's teacher gave me her percentages tonight:
she got 74% in maths level 4
71% in english level 5
67% in science level 5, i told her it is a 4 not a 5 and you need 80% for a 5, she said that this year the science test was very difficult and the had to bring down the level threshold.
what do you think?

thinking about it may be she gave me her scores rather than her %? so if she got 67/80 she got 84%?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - the science is not out of 100 so it is probably her score out of 80.
toony

Post by toony »

http://www.naa.org.uk/naa_17987.aspx

Here are the thresholds.

I think it is harder to get a 5 for Maths because you need to get around 80% correct. In English overall you only need to get about 2/3rds correct to get a level 5. There is less room for silly errors/exam nerves.
tense

Post by tense »

These thresholds are much lower than I'd have thought - no wonder so many kids in my DD's class got 5s. More fool their parents who were promising up to £50 per 5 !! :shock:

I'm glad I've got the raw scores too - much more useful. Can't think why they aren't routinely given to parents.

T x
pumpkinoune

Post by pumpkinoune »

tense wrote:These thresholds are much lower than I'd have thought - no wonder so many kids in my DD's class got 5s. More fool their parents who were promising up to £50 per 5 !! :shock:

I'm glad I've got the raw scores too - much more useful. Can't think why they aren't routinely given to parents.

T x
there are about the same as last year
toony

Post by toony »

As a teacher I do think that there is a huge difference between a child who scrapes a 4 and a child who narrowly misses a 5.
DD97

Post by DD97 »

My DD achieved a level 5 in Science and English and a level 4 in Maths.

I asked how she had done in Maths and have been advised she was only a couple of percentage points below a 5, however they will not provide raw scores.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now