Level 5 a? b? or c?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
katel

Post by katel »

Ok - I'll just put it down to something else I don't understand.

I am sure that my children's schools know all sorts of things about them that I don't. Mostly information that they know what to do with and I don't. Target setting is the teacher's job - they need certain information to do it properly - I don't.

But as I said, one more thing I don't understand!
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

Don't think it's you Katel. Just think people look at things differently.
I think sometimes we are all guilty of worrying too much. In my opinion if your child is level 5 then really whether in the great scheme of life or otherwise then they're not doing so bad!
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Hi Katel and Notion Potion

What information did you have at your disposal to help you to decide whether or not to enter your children for the 11+?

What information did you have at your disposal to help you decide, even if the indications were that they would pass the 11+, whether they would be likely to struggle or fly along at grammar school?

The only reason I ask is because these could have been decisions for which you needed some information. Equally, people who want to know what sort of Level 5 their child got may have decisions to make in the future for which this information would be useful.

It is not necessarily because they worry.

As at least approx 30% of children get level 5 in one or more KS2 SAT subject, a level 5 is a very broad measure. I might be wrong, but knowing that your child got a level 5 is a bit like being told that your child got somewhere between an A and and E at A' level ( guessing here that approximately the top 30% of the population do A' levels - maybe it is a lot more now.)
katel

Post by katel »

But by the time you know whether they"ve got level 5s or not they've already taken and passed or failed the 11+, appeals have been made and won or lost - what other possible decision might I need to make about my child that could be influenced by whether he or she got 5a, b or c?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It might help you to know this because if your child just scrapes a level 5 then a level 5 at the end of Y7 is OK.
However if your child gets a level 5a you would be looking for a level 6 - it's all about supporting your child to reach ther potential.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Personally when I was at school, I was given a mark (or feedback, if you will) for every piece of work that I did. Be it a test, class work or homework. It was either given a percentage, 'out of' mark or an 'A'-'E' mark and even the odd comment.

So that's what I've come to expect.

I know for a fact that my DS gets extremely frustrated when he hands work in or is given a test and he is not given any result.
I also know that children of all ages become rather despondent, when they know the work won't be marked. I often hear, 'why should we bother? It won't be marked anyway' comment.

So why do they try to hide the precise facts these days? What have they got to gain? Why not tell it how it is? Why a vague L5, and not the more precise 5a, b or c?
We were told how it was, when we were at school. Do our children deserve less??
katel

Post by katel »

But if they've done their best (any you can tell whether they are working hard) then whatever they get at the end of year 7 is fine. And anyway the school will give them targets based on their initial assessment when they arrive in year 7. I still don't see why me knowing what sort of level 5 my child gets would be useful to me in any way.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Katel - you insist on ignoring the FACT that targets are based on the KS2 NC levels whether the school tells you they are or not.

School targets are based on the Fischer Family Trust data which factor in KS2 teacher and test levels amongst other things e.g. gender, ethnicity, special needs.

If the school is giving additional tests that is not a very pleasant 'welcome' to Year 7 - Secondary schools have more than enough information on which to base their measures of progress. :lol:

Surely knowing your child is achieving to their potential is something for you to celebrate - and when it comes to choosing Options for GCSE having a full pictures of your child's strengths is very important.
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

Perplexed:-The information I had at my disposal was good feedback throughout the term about her progress, being in the higher maths sets, etc. and my knowledge of my own child. Plus going through 11+ type books at home and thinking that her scores were good as was her progress thus re-enforcing the schools comments.
She got Level 3's at end of Key stage1 (no idea what sub-levels) and has tracked accordingly to Level 5's (no idea what sub-levels) now at end of key stage 2.
She passed both for an Independent school (with scholarship offer) and Grammar with flying colours so have no big desire to micro-discect her level. I'm sure it would ber good but as long as she keeps working hard and trying her best then that's great!

I will support her to reach her true potential in the same way as before.

She will also be tested when she enters Grammar School-(the 11+ here is only based on Verbal Reasoning).
katel

Post by katel »

No I'm not ignoring anything. I know that my dd's year 7 targets were based partly on her year 6 SATS. And I know that her secondary school had a more detailed breakdown of her test results than she and I did. But they need that information.

What I am saying is that I don't see why it would be worth anybody's while putting any time or effort into trying to find out what sort of level 5 their child got. It would be interesting, maybe - and very pleasing to discover that they were high 5s, but I really cannot see what useful purpose it would serve.

And if, as some people on here are saying, that it's proving problematic and damaging to their relationship with the primary school, why bother?