Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Level 6
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:29 pm 
Our school (in Birmingham) has been pretty good at explaining the levels and keeping us informed of our sons progress since KS1. At the end of year 3 he achieved a level 4c, so if he progressed the expected level every 2 yrs he would be at a level 6 by the end of Year 6(he is already at levels 5b and 5c at the end of year 5).
However, the school have 'informally' said that they do not test for a Level 6 as they are only allowed to test to a Level 5. Is this true ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:11 am 
This is my understanding also

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:38 pm 

My son was told that his target for maths in Year 6 was Level 6b. He achieved Level 5 in his SATS (97%). This would be classed as a 5a if the sub levels were reported on. There was no option at his school to achieve a Level 6. Apparently there should be communication between schools to indicate the actual level your child is working at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:32 pm 
The Key Stage 2 tests no longer include a grading for Level 6. Up until about 4 years ago, high achieving pupils could sit a separate level 6 paper, which in practice was very rarely achieved, therefore it was abandoned. It is a shame for those few children who are capable of achieving it, but I suspect it was seen as a 'waste' of money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:46 am 
Jezebel wrote:
The Key Stage 2 tests no longer include a grading for Level 6. Up until about 4 years ago, high achieving pupils could sit a separate level 6 paper, which in practice was very rarely achieved, therefore it was abandoned. It is a shame for those few children who are capable of achieving it, but I suspect it was seen as a 'waste' of money.

My son is now in the Upper Sixth and he did sit the Level 6 maths paper in Year 6. It was extremely hard and he missed the Level 6 by 3 marks - the school were really pleased but he was disappointed. I wouldn't worry too much about achieving level 6 at primary school - they get the chance to prove themselves at secondary school. My son is doing maths A level and got an almost perfect score in his AS exam (294/300) so he has proved he has a talent for maths. Shame he doesn't want to do maths at degree level!!

Post subject: SATS Results
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:47 pm 
Hi there I just wondered do any of you know when the sats results tables will be available for this year. I have looked at the dfes webb site but they have not printed them yet. I may be looking for a new pimary school for my daughter so would like to see them.

Thanks

Mel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:59 pm 

I seem to remember that last year they were out in december

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:12 pm 

Dear Mel1

For your bed time reading.......!

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/SFR ... results%22

Patricia