selection review concerns (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mcottage

selection review concerns (Bucks)

Post by Mcottage »

I am looking for advice about our selection review application. The school are keen for me to keep the application in place and that is also the advice I am getting from BCC but I am seriously concerned that because my son had a low score of 113 and we don’t have any extenuating circumstances we will not be successful.

He is very bright with levels - English overall 5, speaking and listending 4, reading 4a, writing 5c, maths 5c, science 4a at the end of yr 5 and 2 level 6s predicted for end of yr 6 (reading and maths as he is doing level 6 SATs test in these next spring) plus 5a prediction for science and writing, which is why the head teacher recommended the review application. He was all level 3s at te end of key stage 1. We have a very strong headteacher letter using words such as 'unreservedly supporting the application' and 'he would be misplaced elsewhere' with a 2:1 recommendation.

My concern is that if we are unsuccessful it will jeopardise our chance at appeal as we will have to argue that the selection review was unfair and inconsistent. My feelings are that I should withdraw the selection review application and go straight to appeal and be able to put forward a very strong academic case (risking a first round school allocation I know). Please are you able to shed any light on whether an unsuccessful selection review weakens a subsequent appeal? I am very keen for him to go to a grammar school because of his ability, as is he, but feel unable to make an informed decision about the right route to take. It doesn't help knowing that only 9% got through in 2013 with his score of 113 but 30% got through in 2014 with his score - which way will it go this year!??
scary mum

Re: selection review concerns

Post by scary mum »

Have you read this? It might help, although I'm sure people will be along to give you advice soon http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=29733" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also I don't think a score of 113 is particularly comparable between those two years as one was under the old 11plus when 113 was not so likely to get through on appeal (there is a wider spread of scores now, I believe).
scary mum
Etienne

Re: selection review concerns

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

I'm afraid there are no easy answers.
The school are keen for me to keep the application in place and that is also the advice I am getting from BCC
The system is designed to steer you towards a review!
Mcottage wrote:I am seriously concerned that because my son had a low score of 113 and we don’t have any extenuating circumstances we will not be successful.
The headteachers manual does refer to a normal expectation of 'exceptional extenuating circumstances' at review.
Not sure I entirely believe this, but the further away from 121, the more likely it is to be true.
My concern is that if we are unsuccessful it will jeopardise our chance at appeal as we will have to argue that the selection review was unfair and inconsistent.
Strictly speaking it should be for the admission authority to prove that the review was 'fair, consistent & objective', not for you to prove that it wasn't.
However, appeal panels vary in how strictly they interpret the Code, and different panels have been known to come to different decisions with regard to the very same case.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ls#p475797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please are you able to shed any light on whether an unsuccessful selection review weakens a subsequent appeal?
If this is a completely separate question from 'fair, consistent & objective', and if you're asking whether an appeal panel might be influenced by the review panel's earlier decision, the answer is that they could give some weight to it (as part of the evidence) if they wanted to, but I suspect they probably wouldn't.
In other words, if you get over the 'fair, consistent & objective' hurdle, I think an appeal panel would most likely take a completely fresh look at your case.
I am very keen for him to go to a grammar school because of his ability, as is he, but feel unable to make an informed decision about the right route to take. It doesn't help knowing that only 9% got through in 2013 with his score of 113 but 30% got through in 2014 with his score - which way will it go this year!??
As scary mum says, you can't compare 113 in 2013 with 113 in 2014, because the range of marks was different. 2015 ought to be more like 2014, but there are still likely to be some variations from year to year.
a 2:1 recommendation
To assess what weight to give this, I suspect both review and appeal panels would look very closely at how many of the school's 2:1, 2:2 and 2:3 recommendations actually qualified.

I assume you've read all the guidance on here?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=36418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Mcottage

Re: selection review concerns (Bucks)

Post by Mcottage »

Hi and thanks for your replies!

I hadn't realised 2013 was the old style test so that is good news.

Do you think his end of year levels will be good enough for the panel to consider him with a low test score?

I only wish we didn't have to wait until February to find out
Etienne

Re: selection review concerns (Bucks)

Post by Etienne »

Do you think his end of year levels will be good enough for the panel to consider him with a low test score?
They look like a good starting point.

Other evidence would strengthen the case - e.g. CAT scores, how realistic the HT recommendations were, extenuating circumstances, etc.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now