Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 11 + appeal
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:20 pm 

Dear Etienne
I would really appreciate your advice.
I grew up in, my family still live, and we owned a house in the catchment area of a grammar school.
In June 08 I spoke to the local authority about returning to live in the area and applying for school places for my child. They advised us to apply to the local grammar school directly if we wished our son to sit the eleven plus.
My son sat the eleven plus and passed. He sat an ‘out of catchment’ place because we had not yet taken up residency. Both (our ) and local authorities advised us to fill the CAF form through (our) local authority , placing the grammar school as our first chose. We applied, and in March 09 where not offered a place at the school.
We spoke to the grammar school twice in September 08, firstly to put our son’s name down to sit the eleven plus papers at their school, and secondly we spoke to them about how the admission had gone for that academic year. On the second point we were told that ‘we should be fine because the school had only just filled its last place for Sept 08’, only days before the start of term.
When we were told on 3rd March 09 that we had not achieved a place at the grammar school, I rang to ask if we could be put on the waiting list, and should we appeal. On both count I was told yes. I then re-read the letter, which highlighted the policy in the event of oversubscription, stating the reason for not being allocated a place at the school.
• Eligible children from all other areas with priority being given to the order of their aggregate school in the entrance test.
Then, two paragraphs further down the letter stated: The date for determining whether a pupil counts as living within the designated catchment area for free transport is January 1st in the academic year preceding entry. No applicant whose home address is outside this area can become an in catchment applicant by virtue of a primary school that they attend.

Is there anything we can do that may help our appeal? Our son works to a level 5c English, Maths , Science.

Any help or advise will be much appreciated!
Many thanks and kind regards
M&H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:15 pm 

Dear M&H

I remember reading about your case before, and I agreed with everything Alex wrote in response.

As previously suggested, you need to put forward an academic case (that your son is bright and should have scored even more highly) and an oversubscription case (explaining why this is the only school that will best meet your son's needs).

Ultimately I'm afraid the outcome could depend on factors over which you have no control (such as the strength of other appellants' cases), but you should explain the sequence of events - just as you have done above, as calmly as possible and without being too critical - and throw yourself on the mercy of the panel. I just hope they will be as sympathetic as I certainly feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:20 pm 

Dear Etienne
Thank you so much for the reply, I did just rather ramble on! I'm just feeling quite low.

This transition could have been so easy, but because of us, our son is the one who is suffering most and its hard to watch.

Thank you and Alex for your very good advice.
Kind regards
M&H