too late for appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
strawberry

Post by strawberry »

Dear Loopyloulou,Thanks for your reply.Every year CGS have a few children in border zone they have passed 2 of 3 papers,gone to review and then considered qualified. They are sent the qualified letter in Jan
Other years this group have all been given places as some from the 120 dont take the place they have been offered but this year because of the 4 they have to take from independent appeals they have 124 starting in sept so the ones left in border zone will not get places as 4 would have to drop out before they go to the list.
strawberry

Post by strawberry »

Dear Etienne,
I have to deliver my case 48hours bofore the appeal. Should this be the statement I was going to read at appeal ??
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Strawberry

It's up to you, really.

I usually suggest one of two things:
  • 1. Send in a detailed written statement with any supporting evidence, and then at the appeal just remind the panel briefly of the main points, or
    2. Send in a brief summary of the main points with any supporting evidence, and then go into more detail at the hearing.
You can, of course, send in a detailed written statement, and go through all of it word for word at the hearing. If it's very lengthy, though, it may make the panel feel rather weary, and may not be the best way of winning friends and influencing people!

Ideally, what you shouldn't do is introduce significant new information at the hearing, because this might lead to the case being adjourned so that the panel and the admission authority have time to consider the new information. If, for example, someone turned up and introduced as evidence a lengthy educational psychologist's report, it would only be fair to allow everyone else time to study it.

Here is an example of a written statement that is reasonably short and to the point (non-qualification only):
[quote] Dear Members of the Panel

We would be grateful if you would consider this appeal on behalf of ***** on the following grounds:

Academic Evidence

• Missed the qualifying score by only two marks.
• “Very stronglyâ€
Etienne
strawberry

Post by strawberry »

Dear Etienne,
In reading an old governors report I found that in 2003 and 2004 the school (foundation) set its admission number in excess of the Net Capacity Formula and last year the intake was 121 (the pan is 120). In the schools statement for non admission it is stated that although the Net Capacity is 126 to admit over 120 would be prejudicial to the provision of efficient education. Is the Net Capacity formula the most used way to measure a schools capacity???
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear strawberry

Net capacity is the only way of measuring a school's capacity, but there is then a process to go through to fix the exact admission number:
1.17 Admission authorities of maintained schools must set admission numbers with regard to the capacity assessment for the school. Admission authorities may fix an admission number for a relevant age group that is lower than the capacity assessment. If they do so, they must publish this information for parents at the same time as they notify the bodies they are required to consult about the determination of their admission arrangements, who may object to the admission number. They can also set a higher admission number than that indicated by the capacity assessment .......... Admission authorities are required to consult before setting or amending a published admission number.
Any such consultation takes place by 1st March in the calendar year preceding the year of entry.

Assuming that the proper procedures at the time were followed to alter the admission number, then the admission number itself is not an issue for an appeals panel.

However, the school must spell out what prejudice would be caused by admitting an extra pupil (e.g. the sharing of books or computers).

Although you are unlikely to be able to challenge the admission number itself, you can probe whether in reality the school has coped, or could cope, with more pupils.

Questions you could ask are:
  • "Why was there an intake of 121 last year?" (I would guess it was the result of a successful appeal.)
    "Do you have any general classrooms equipped with 31-32 chairs/desks?" (I would be surprised if they don't.)
    "Exactly what evidence is there to show that the school was not coping well with a higher admission number?"
Etienne
happymum

Post by happymum »

Etienne wrote:Questions you could ask are:
  • "Why was there an intake of 121 last year?" (I would guess it was the result of a successful appeal.)
..and you would be right - as mentioned in my previous post a friend of DS won his appeal last year.
Bucks Mum

Post by Bucks Mum »

Etienne

When is the appropriate time to raise those kind of questions? I'm assuming at stage 1 rather than stage 2 of an appeal?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Definitely stage 1.

After the school's case has been presented, the chair will invite questions.
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

happymum wrote: ..and you would be right - as mentioned in my previous post a friend of DS won his appeal last year.
Thanks, happymum - I'd forgotten. :oops:

The school would be hard pressed to prove that it has been harder to cope with 121 than with 120!

They're still likely to win stage 1, however. They can show prejudice simply by pointing out - for example - that two children have to share a text book or computer, or each child gets 1/31 rather than 1/30 of the teacher's individual attention.
Etienne
happymum

Post by happymum »

Etienne wrote:
happymum wrote: ..and you would be right - as mentioned in my previous post a friend of DS won his appeal last year.
Thanks, happymum - I'd forgotten. :oops:
Oh I'm sorry if my post came across as bossy Etienne :( :)

I wish you so much luck with your appeal strawberry :D