Appeal 1st June-Glad it is over and now the wait!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

Good luck to all who are waiting, and thanks to all who gave such helpful advice. Our appeal was yesterday, it seemed to go well but we were reminded that there are 29 appeals for this school this year & each year no more than 2 are approved, in some years only one, and last year none!

We were surprised at how little the school's side said - basically just she did not get the pass mark, so is not selective ability. Surprised also that the Panel only asked 2 questions between them!

We are not expecting a positive result - how can we, with those odds! - but at least we feel we have 'gone the distance' for her.
Mum of 1 and 1 to go

Post by Mum of 1 and 1 to go »

:( It was a no for my DD, only 1 appeal for NHG was successful. No-one appealing for CHG made it :(

Basically they did not accept the doctors note, travel issues and academic evidence. Just says she did not pass so they cannot offer a place.

I hope the other Calderdale mum on here, Anxious, had more luck.

At least I gave it my best shot. She is a bright girl and the local school she has been given is not too bad, plus she will be going with her friends.

I believe things happen for a reason sometimes. :D
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get good news. If they only allowed one between them, then it must be almost impossible to win your case. :?

Your DD is going to be just fine with such a supportive mum.
keane34

Post by keane34 »

I'm so sorry to read your news Mum of 1 and 1 to go. I hope that your DD settles into her new school in September and is very happy there.
Anxious1

Post by Anxious1 »

Hi everyone,

Just got home and unfortunately it was also a no for my DD too. I am so disappointed. They didn't take into consideration any of the circumstances surrounding her performance on the day, her position in the pre-test or the academic evidence. It seems that it is almost impossible to get a positive result through the appeals process here.

Thank you so much everyone for your help and support over the past few months. DD is ok, she even says she wants to take the test again in Y9! Not sure I could cope with the stress though.

Mum of 1 and 1 to go, I am so sorry that you didn't get a good result and just wanted to wish you my very best wishes and hope that your DD settles well in the school you have chosen.
Mum of 1 and 1 to go

Post by Mum of 1 and 1 to go »

:( So sorry it did not work out for you either. They seem to have just dismissed any evidence presented. Even the head teacher said we had a very strong case, one of the strongest he had seen, so what can you do? :?:

It is Ryburn for us and she seems happy enough as most of her friends and going to the same school. :D
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Anxious1 - So sorry!

It seems to be extremely tough in Calderdale to get through. I wish you and your DD all the best.

I wish I had something really useful to say :(
Anxious1

Post by Anxious1 »

Mitasol, thank you for your kind thoughts. I would agree that it does seem difficult to get a good result in this area. To be quite honest the LEA had already advised us that it is rare for an appeal to be upheld, although there is always that glimmer of hope and I am glad we tried. Just being positive as possible now to keep DD's spirits up!

Its interesting that the head at the appeal said they had now offered out to position 359 at NH, so for anyone out there who is on the waiting list, again there is always that glimmer of hope. Unfortunately my DD's name is not on the waiting list at she scored outside the cut off point of 370.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

So sorry for you Anxious1 and Mum of 1 and 1 to go - we are in the same position. It is a terrible feeling, but you at least know that you have done all that you can.
Wishing you all the very best.
Rgds,
LFH
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Sorry to hear your news Anxious1 and Mum of 1 and 1 to go :( - your area sounds a really tough one for appeals! You gave it your best shot though and your children will do well knowing they have your support, as you've already shown by lodging the appeals on their behalf. Best of luck in the future. :)
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now