Appeal decision- please can anyone offer advice/info

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Marylou is right - it's amazing what sometimes comes to light.

I note that in the Adjudicator's Guidance for local authorities, schools and admission forums it states "You must object before 31 July. If you miss the deadline, the adjudicator may still consider the objection - but only if there is good reason for not sending it earlier."

Interestingly, in the Appeals Code, it says "In all cases, the panel must refer immediately to the Schools Adjudicator any unlawful admission arrangements they identify in the natural course of their deliberations on a specific appeal." It doesn't say "By the way, don't bother after 31st July"! :lol:

The Adjudicator correctly says that which oversubscription criteria are to be used for the waiting list are not specified in the Code, but logically, if you're on a waiting list for entry in the academic year 2009-10, why wouldn't the published admission arrangements for 2009-10 be the ones applicable? :roll:

Nothing to lose by trying the DCSF, as suggested.

It might also be worth seeing what the Advisory Centre for Education think.
Etienne
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Thanks for the advice. I'm not letting on to the LA that we may have discovered an anomaly- let them take it up with the school!

I will try the ACE and await the DCSF response.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

The SA Lady has taken pity and has agreed to refer to the dcsf the fact that the 2010/11 waiting list criteria does not match the waiting list criteria (which it doesn't). She was only able to do this because I phoned before 31/07/2009 :wink: I had already referred to the dcsf but appreciate her pushing them for me.

I have pointed out that I am only interested in 2009/10 but I suppose if they can prove that one years policy is not in line with the code then it will apply to any other year (whether earlier or later). Do you think that is her thinking?

What she has pointed out is that it is likely to be a fairly long process as they will have to wait till the school is back/refer to LA etc etc. Nothing else we can do though!

On an unrelated matter when looking at some admissions related regulatory documentation, have I read correctly that it will not be permitted to have siblings as a priority group on an admissions policy. If so is this for all schools?

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not sure how this will play out, but well done on getting this far! :)

I'm not aware of any changes to what the current Admissions Code already says in relation to siblings. There is a general acceptance of a sibling rule:
Siblings of children who are still at the school
2.21 Many parents will want their children to attend the same school and most admission authorities recognise this and give priority in admissions to siblings. Giving priority to younger brothers and sisters of children already at the school supports families and can reassure parents about the safety of children when walking to school. Older children can also offer support to their younger brothers and sisters while at the school.
One notable exception is as follows:
Prohibition of unfair oversubscription criteria
n) in the case of designated grammar schools that rank all children according to a pre-determined pass mark and allocate places to those who score highest, give priority to siblings of current or former pupils
Etienne
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi all

just a quick update.

The dcsf Fair Access Team called today and took some brief details. They then phoned the Local Admissions Authority who confirmed they have already raised this matter with the school. Therefore we have to wait till the school respond, which will probably not be till end of hols! :roll:

He also said that this was probably a matter for the Schools Adjudicator rather than fair Access (which is the opposite to what the SA said). I have to say that both have been very communicative, pleasant and helpful, though a little unclear as to whose responsibility this matter is. :?

Maybe this is a new issue they haven't come across before?

So will wait and see what the LA Admissions say, once response from school is received and then take the matter up again.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Keep going Tiddlymum!
Good luck with it.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Thanks, thats nice of you.

And joy of joys- got my own child going through the exam process in September, as if I haven't grey hairs enough! :lol:
traffmum

Post by traffmum »

Good luck Tiddlymum, hope you get some good news soon and best of luck to your son for this year!
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Just an update.

The local authority finally got hold of the school who agreed to honour the distance to door until end of term 1. Bit of a hollow victory anyway, as no places came free during the hols.

Next question now- what happens when the time limit expires for the waiting list. Do the school write and ask if you want to stay on it?Do you have to keep ringing them and checking whether there has been any change?

On a happier note my lovely niece started at her new high school. She is coping with the rather onerous travel and early starts admirably. Has already bEen picked for netball team and seems to have been noted as an able child. Which is great news and no more than she deserves. She has remained resilient and upbeat despite her many disappointments, and we are very proud of her!!!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Ah, what a great niece you have!