Another appeal after ombudsmen decision.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
traffmum

Another appeal after ombudsmen decision.

Post by traffmum »

We soon have our 3rd appeal coming up. Our son narrowly missed the pass mark for a Grammar school due to extenuating circumstances. We took it to a non qualification appeal and won. However, living out of area, the school was oversubscribed and we weren't offered a place. We took this to an over subscription appeal but weren't successful. Due to maladministration, the ombudsman has ruled in our favour and has offered a fresh appeal. This is due to a proven breach of the sacode on behalf of the school. Having won one appeal, lost one, what else can we add to prove our case outwieghs schools prejudice of one more child? Please help.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

For general advice, read the Q&As (follow link at top of page).

We might be able to give some specific advice if you tell us about the case you put forward before.
Etienne
traffmum

Post by traffmum »

Thanks for your reply Etienne, we would appreciate any help, however as the case is next week and there are lots of details, is there any way I can post it without all the info being available to everyone. Am just concerned panel members may read this.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear traffmum

No problem. Follow link at top of page:
There is a facility here for keeping sensitive information private while seeking advice.
It would be helpful to know as well:
  • published admission number
    expected number on roll for year 7 in Sept.
    previous success rate for appeals
    whether it's a local authority panel or not
    why the previous hearing was flawed
We will match your email with your previous post provided you mention "traffmum"!

Any reply we give on the forum will be in general terms.
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear traffmum

I've studied your case, and think you've got every base covered.

Take care not to let the panel to drown under the weight of all the arguments being put forward.

By all means make your points, but at stage one I strongly advise trying at all costs to avoid a protracted argument over each item. The best approach is just to ask quick questions, and let the panel draw their own conclusions from the answers given.

When you have lots of points to make, ask yourself what is it that you want the panel to focus on above all else. I don't mean the general argument that the prejudice to the school is outweighed - I mean one or two specific reasons why you are asking the panel at stage 2 to exercise their discretion in favour of allowing the appeal. That is where the emphasis needs to be.

It can be a very finely balanced (and somewhat subjective) judgement as to whether the prejudice to the school is outweighed. Aim to keep the sympathy of the panel by appearing very 'reasonable' at all times!

Good luck!
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now