Stage 1 questioning the LEA case

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I must say that it is very disapppointing that your appeal is after the Induction day ....
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Guest55 wrote:I must say that it is very disappointing that your appeal is after the Induction day ....
I'm concious of this myself - one of the panels I'm on hasn't finished hearing all the appeals for one school (and I know the same applies for a few other schools in the area).

I also realise how tense & stressed parents get over this. For instance, my mother is in hospital at the moment, some 120 miles from my home. One day last week she was scheduled for an amputation of her lower leg. It was also the 2nd of 3 days of appeals (spread over a month) where I was sitting on the panel. I am an only child, and her brother is currently overseas on holiday. My natural instinct was to drop everything and drive there.

I realised that if I dropped out of the appeals, they would all have to be heard again by a new panel. This could delay things 'till after the school holidays. If I pulled out of that days appeal, then the previous ones would still stand, and that days could be rescheduled (again, possibly after the start of the new term). Rescheduling is quite difficult as two of us on the panel work full time, and the other is very busy with other matters, so finding a free day that all three can make is tricky to put it mildly.

But can you imagine (well, most of you here can imagine) how awful all the poor parents would feel in either of these circumstances?

What did I do? I heard the appeals, giving them my full attention, turning my 'phone on briefly between each one. After the last appeal, I drove like mad to the hospital, where I found mum still waiting the op at 7pm (I'd arranged a friend who is a nurse to be there to help her consent), which finally went ahead 2 days later. And the parents appealing were none the wiser!

It's a good job I have an understanding employer who not only lets me have paid special leave to hear the appeals, but also lets me have time off to be around my ill mum.
Capers
in Turmoil

Transfer Appeal

Post by in Turmoil »

Yes Guest 55 it is very dissapointing, it would have been lovely for our DD to attend induction day. I am also concerned that we are the last appeals to be heard, those for Year 7 and Year 9 are all in the preceeding weeks.

Thanks Capers for your post, you were very understanding I know my intial instinct too would have been to drop everything. I am sure the parents would be incredibly grateful if they had known.

Our appeal date means we are likely to get our outcome on the last day of term now that is something to be grateful for!

thanks

IT
In Turmoil