Appeal denied

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

huntlie

Appeal denied

Post by huntlie »

Our appeal was denied on the grounds thst one more would prejudice efficient education if they exceeded their PAN. Odd, since my son had forced the school's rep. to say 3 times that one more would not prejudice anything!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Very sorry to hear that Huntlie, it sounds like a standard reply but at odds with what was said during the appeal. :? :(
Marylou
chad

Post by chad »

Very sorry to hear of the decision.

I do not know the details of your son's case but could it be that have gone above pan with another appeal. therefore yours would have made 2 above pan?
:(
Anxious1

Post by Anxious1 »

Huntlie, I am so sorry that your appeal was unsuccessful. You tried your best and should be proud of yourself. It is so difficult to get an appeal upheld. The LEA advised us that we had basically no chance, but I am still glad that we gave it a go, otherwise I would have always been wondering 'what if'.

Just wanted to wish you and your son all the best and I hope that he settles into his allocated school well and achieves his full potential.
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Just wanted to add my best wishes Huntlie
Bougalou
capers123

Re: Appeal denied

Post by capers123 »

huntlie wrote:Our appeal was denied on the grounds thst one more would prejudice efficient education if they exceeded their PAN. Odd, since my son had forced the school's rep. to say 3 times that one more would not prejudice anything!
Sorry to hear your news.

If you were the only appeal, then this does sound very odd. If, however, there were other people appealing, then they might have had stronger grounds than you.

As an example, say that a LEA grammar school has a PAN of 87, so the LEA only allocate 87 places. The classes are arranged with 30 seats and each previous year has had around 90 pupils after appeals, and the statement from the head says they can take 90 without problems. At the appeal, the panel might ask the presenting officer (if the parents haven't picked it up first) every time why there is the difference, and thus established that should they be thus minded and the cases are strong enough, they can allow 3 appeals (or more in truly exceptional circumstances).

Now If there's 15 parents appealling, even though they all ask the question, only the three with the strongest reasons will be allowed.

If there's only 2 appealing, yet they're both non-qualifiers, then they would also have to have very strong reasons why they didn't pass.
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now