LGO

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi, LFH

Very sorry to hear of the provisional finding (not totally unexpected), and that the clerk's notes did not throw up anything really helpful.

I'm afraid the ombudsman cannot query the panel's judgement. If they took a particular view of school work, or of extenuating circumstances, even if he disagrees, he cannot intervene unless the judgement is based on misinformation (e.g. the wrong SATs predictions), so it's best not to go down that road.

The notes are not going to be verbatim, but they should be sufficient to show the ombudsman that the correct procedures were followed and that the panel considered the key issues. The ombudsman is well used to disagreements about what was said at the hearing. I feel sure you're right when you say you weren't asked if you had had enough time, and my guess is that the clerk (writing up the notes later on) was on autopilot - but proving this is another matter.

BTW, did you get any sort of ruling about whether it was acceptable for the notes to be taken in shorthand and written up later?

As far as I can interpret, I suspect the ombudsman thinks that things were not done as well as they should have been, but is not convinced that the decision of this panel would have been any different.

If I were you, I confess I'd be sorely tempted to write back and point out any inaccuracies, but I think you'll probably get a comment along the lines that "recollections of exactly what was and wasn't said during the course of a hearing often vary".

To be honest, once a provisional finding has been given, it's very difficult to shift the ombudsman, unless you can produce significant new evidence about what happened.

Even though you were more or less prepared for this outcome, I do understand how very distressing it must be. I hope that one good thing may emerge - namely that appeals at St.B's will be somewhat better run in future. If so, it will be thanks to your courage in pursuing a complaint. You may not have gained anything - other than knowing that you have done absolutely everything possible - but others in future might.
Etienne
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I think that you are right Etienne, I should throw in the towel.
However the whole process has been an eye opener to me - in no other walk of life would such important decisions be left to people who really don't know the business they are supposed to be in. The chair gave me a mental maths paper back, all marked correctly as 20/20 and said, I don't think you want us to see that it doesn't help your case.

Anyway thank you very much for all your help, I am off now to lick my wounds and figure out what it is I want for my son.

Best wishes,
LFH
HJC66

Post by HJC66 »

I am so sorry to hear your news LFH. Hopefully something good will come of all our efforts. Perhaps future appeals will be better managed as a result of our complaints and parents will not have to undergo such an injustice with the appeals procedure.

Best wishes
HJC
Looking for help

Hello again, I'm still trying...
Well we have written back to LGO. Once we thoroughly read the letter from the LGO we noticed that they had not understood the evidence that we had given them.
Etienne, you said above that there are very few cases where the LGO has changed their findings from their initial conclusions. Do you have any statistics on this?

Thanks
LFH
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Do you have any statistics on this?
Sorry, LFH, I don't. It's just an impression from cases I've been involved in or made aware of.

It's what one would probably expect, because in most cases all the significant points will usually have been put forward already.
Etienne
Looking for help

Thanks Etienne.
Looking for help

Hi Etienne,
We replied to the ombudsman within the deadline quoted, but have heard nothing since. Can you tell me is there a time limit imposed on them to respond to us?

Thanks,
LFH
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi, LFH

I'm not aware of any time limit - I suspect their workload might be too unpredictable for this.

The door is still (just about) open, in so far as you haven't received a final letter yet.
Etienne
Looking for help

Thanks Etienne, we finally got an e-mail today to say they haven't looked at our letter yet, but will do so as soon as they can. No point then, I wouldn't have thought as we start our new school next week.

Oh well, thank you once again for your invaluable advice.

LFH
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Oh LFH, I'm SO sorry that they haven't looked at it yet... :cry:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now