Appeal advice

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rob Clark

Appeal advice

Post by Rob Clark »

Hi all,

A very quick query. Etienne advised us to send a letter to BCC Appeals questioning our appeal procedure rather than go straight to the Ombudsman.

Can anyone tell me who we should address such a letter to? Do we just put ‘Bucks County Council Appeals team’ or does it need to go to a specific person? And if so, who?

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would send it to the address in here:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/assets/conten ... let_09.pdf

Good luck!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes, that contains the correct address.

If you go to the LA and are not satisfied with their response, you can then move on to the ombudsman.

For most local government complaints, you do have to go to the council first - but the ombudsman makes an exception where school admissions are concerned, so it's your choice.

The advantage of trying the LA first is that you'll probably get a decision in weeks - great if you get the decision you want, and you only lose 1-3 weeks or so if you don't.

If you go to the ombudsman, it's likely to take months anyway.

Bear in mind that most complaints do not succeed. It prolongs the agony - but it might set your mind at rest knowing that you have done everything possible.
Etienne
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Thank you both very much, sorry for the delayed reply.

Etienne, thanks for the words of warning. I think there were a couple of procedural errors in our appeal hearing – whether they will be considered sufficiently serious to warrant any further action, I frankly have no idea, but I feel we need to try to find out.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now