Appeal Hearing Taking Place At The School

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I thought the Fair Access Protocol was for kids with challenging behaviour and or excluded from school - unless it is different in different areas???
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think it could go much wider than this, Herman. FAPs are essentially dealing with vulnerable, 'hard to place' children, but who these are will vary from area to area.
Who should the protocol cover? The Government expects all Forums to include looked after children and those pupils excluded from other local schools in these protocols. Forums could also agree, depending on local circumstances, to include children of compulsory school age in some, or all, of the following categories:-

Children attending PRUs who need to be reintegrated back into mainstream education
Children who have been out of education for longer than one school term
Children whose parents have been unable to find them a place after moving to the area, because of a shortage of places
Children withdrawn from schools by their family, following fixed term exclusions and unable to find another place.
Children of refugees and asylum seekers not in accommodation centres
Homeless Children
Children with unsupportive family backgrounds, where a place has not be sought
Children known to the police or other agencies
Children without a school place and with a history of serious attendance problems
Traveller Children

Children with statements of special educational need are not covered by these protocols as their needs must be considered separately.
[DCSF, Hard to Place Children – Developing and Agreeing a Protocol]
Etienne
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

That makes more sense Etienne and I can see it will vary from area to area.
Is it likely to be used for a child to get a place at a specific school or just to ensure that they get a place somewhere when they have struggled to get a place anywhere?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Difficult to say, Herman. The guidance mentions a 'suitable' or 'appropriate' placement, so in some cases this would suggest a specific school (whereas in other cases any school might do).

The guidance also talks about the need to "balance the circumstances of the pupil and the circumstances of schools".
Etienne
loveandlight

Post by loveandlight »

If a school says that temporary accomodation would be arranged what do you think that could mean? It has been said as a new 6th form is being built in order to accomodate the existing learners.

And would it be resonable to expect to see the temporary accomodation inc in the Net Capacity Assess Form?

For example, do you think it means creating additional space with the school bringing in extra space like a portakabin or what?

Thanks for any replies.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Why don't you ring the school up and ask what their arrangements for 6th form are?

They don't need to know you are asking because of an appeal, you could simply be a parent enquiring on behalf of a dc wanting to transfer into their 6th form.

Ask them to explain the current arrangements and their future plans and how that will affect all pupils in the meantime.

Also use the opportunity to ask anything else you might need to know.
loveandlight

Post by loveandlight »

Duhhhhh, why didn't I think of doing that in the first place. :oops:

Thanks snowdrop.
loveandlight

Post by loveandlight »

I received a copy bundle of evidence through the post today from the appeals clerk. I noticed that the last two pages of my appeal grounds were missing from it even though I definitely sent them in.

I immediately sent an email to the appeals clerk telling her about the missing documents and asking if the other bundles for the appeal panel also have the last two pages of my appeal missing. I recieved no response and so phoned the appeals clerk at about 5.45pm as it tells you to if you have a query but all I got was an automated message from the school saying they are closed at 4.30pm and to call again on Monday. The hearing is next Wednesday (3 days time).

I have worked so hard on this appeal as some of you know so I'm hoping and praying that it's just me who got an incomplete bundle.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Just in case, take 5 copies of the last two pages with you. When the appeal starts, ask the panel (and school side) to check that they have them, and if not, hand them out. They may want to take a short break to read them.

If they had been just certificates from scouts, conkers championship awards, diploma in advanced yogurt weaving or the like, then I would not worry so much, but as they're part of your main case, definitely worth taking as a backup.

Good luck.
Capers
loveandlight

Post by loveandlight »

Thanks capers123. I am actually very upset about this but more in a tearful way than an angry way as I put my heart and soul into this. It didn't help that my deadline was Bank Holiday Monday so I haven't had a chance yet to relax for the past two months as it's been hanging over me for that long.

I will just have to try and keep myself busy until Monday. I wouldn't mind so much as you say if it was to do with the other bits but the missing two pages contain the most important points of all and without them, the rest of my case will definitely not flow properly and leaves the reader in mid-air.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now