Is it worth appealing?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I've a feeling that bringing those tests forward discriminates against those who are able but immature.
I do sympathise - results before the CAF v. maturity of the child. No easy answer to that.

A leap in maturity + rapid progress since the test, well supported by the school, can be a good argument to put forward at appeal.
I'll just keep an eye on the situation and reassess in March.
I think it's wise to keep options open.
Etienne
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

You have my sympathy with this one...you have similar scores to us, and we failed Dover too ( but on a diferent paper not the maths!!)
Having discussed with her HT we are appealling. He work is predicted at high 5`s ( mid for maths ) My feeling is we have nothing to lose and everything to gain. She is also one of the youngest in her year and naive for her age at the moment.
I had not considered the possibility of her `maturing` before appeal either.
We are putting our choice of non selective on as second choice as we are not in the catchment area for that one either.....
....surely life should be stress free at their age :wink:
Lass

Post by Lass »

Tracy wrote:Thanks Blakesmum, the maths score is similar to my dd's and she has SO much evidence to support her maths. She's one of the youngest in her year.

What I hadn't considered is that at the time of the appeals, her work would be a lot better, it's already fantastic but it's her attiude to work that is iffy, :roll: , having had 6 months to mature.

But our caf has gone in, the deadline being 23/10. I'm happy if she gets choices 1 or 2, but failing that, does anyone know how you go about appealing to a school that's not on your caf? It's normally undersubscribed.
I have just had a conversation with someone who tells me that last year her friend listed 4 schools on her CAF and was given her first choice. But meanwhile had looked around other schools and found another school (not on her CAF) that she wanted more. She put in a request at the new school, went to appeal and got offered it!

I can get you more information of how it was done (if you decide you need it in March).
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Thanks Lass, I have certainly not ruled out anything yet.