Bucks appeals - borderline score - Attn: Ambridge

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Bucks appeals - borderline score - Attn: Ambridge

Post by Etienne »

Ambridge wrote:Hi Etienne

My son got 120 (and 118) such a shame. We would like to appeal and are meeting with the head on Monday morning. At the recent parents evening they indicated he should easily achieve level 5 SATS next year, he seems to be popular and a good all rounder but what else do we want to hear from the head which will enable our appeal to stand out? As a school they are keen to point out that they offer no teachings towards the 11+, in fact no encouragement at all but we quite obviously need a good/great report from her for our son to stand a chance at appeal??
Dear Ambridge

I've read Sally-Anne's excellent advice in the Bucks section, and haven't a great deal to add.

120 and 118 are good scores which will help your case.

Being so close to 121, you probably don't need much in the way of extenuating circumstances, and "nerves", while not in most cases acceptable, will probably do!

Your appeal is likely to depend on the academic evidence.

I assume you've read the Q&As in the Appeals section on the home page, which list some ideal "indicators" for an appeal? If the head will predict 5a/5b for SATs, rather than just level 5s, that would help your appeal to stand out. As Sally-Anne has said, the head's choice of words can be crucial - the panel will like to see "very strong support" and reference to "academic potential".

I wouldn't make too much of your son being "popular", and would steer clear of "the school doesn't teach for the 11+"!

Well worth an appeal, I think.

Good luck.
Etienne
Ambridge

Thank you

Post by Ambridge »

Thanks for your reply Etienne, yes, have printed off and looked through the Q and A section. We'll keep our fingers crossed that the head is as keen as us on our son getting through an appeal. He has also had the same teacher for two years so we are hoping she might be allowed to add her own paragraph??? Glad you think an appeal is worth our best shot, thanks again for your time.
Ambridge

Schools, heads and appeals....aaah

Post by Ambridge »

A similar posting to 'ConfusedMumBucks' after meet with school head today, it really was an annual school chore but...

The school is willing to support my son through an appeal and believes a grammar school is the place where he should continue his education.

Ticked the 121-131 box for his predicted score but only put him at No 10 on the rankings list (she based this on May 2006 CATS score of 115, no more recent data available) as mock 11+ exams were sent home to be marked.

Predicts he will get high 5's in SATS but says it is only necessary to put 5 on form as this is adequate for grammar school education.

Says the form teacher and head will complete the form together therefore not appropriate to ask form teacher for a separate letter of support.

Says they will fill in the back of the form with 'appropriate words of strong support' for our son to enable him to get into a grammar school.

The completed form will be sent home on Friday so all will be revealed then. The head has suggested we go carefully through our son's books as soon as possible to find appropriate work to show the panel, they are not accepting photocopies of work this year.

I hope so much that we are happy with our school appeal attachment on Friday along with everyone else waiting for their magic piece of paper.

Good luck everyone who is now on Plan B, the appeal, probably not what any of us imagined getting involved with some months ago!
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

Good luck Ambridge, hurry up and get that form in so you get a nice early appeal hearing!

JuliaB
(Still in two minds whether to appeal, I will leave it to last minute.)

usa - any news??
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Thanks JuliaB, you are very thoughtful, I don't blame you for being hesitant about an appeal, if I am honest, the thought of not making it again in 8 weeks time fills me with horror - but we're going for it, these poor 10 year olds, it breaks my heart!

Regards
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Ambridge

I am perplexed that your head won't specify 5a or 5a-5b. Some heads do (a minority, I believe - the majority are probably being cautious if they're not sure.)

If your head really expects a high level 5, I see no good reason why he can't say so and help make your case stand out!
Etienne
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Etienne, the head surprised us on a number of counts during the meeting.

We were told at a recent parents evening that my son could expect to attain Levels 5+ so don't understand her comment.

I think I need to try and talk to the form teacher before they compose the appeal sheet.

Thank you again for your reading my comments and taking the time to reply, it is really appreciated.

Regards
suki

Post by suki »

Hi Ambridge

We have our meeting tomorrow at 2pm, we were also advised at a recent parents evening that our son should attain level 5's in sats next year.

I am a bit confused with references made to levels in attitude and ability and also the ranking. I am assuming these are the questions that the head needs to complete on the appeal form.

Please correct me anyone if I am wrong...... first time appeal for me so am not familiar with the process.
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Suki

Me answering you is a bit like the blind leading the blind as it is my first and I hope last appeal!!

But, it seems that on appeal, grammar schools will expect a child to attain at least Level 5 and Etienne says a Level 5+ makes the point more, so push for the extra status.

The head will show you a printed form, the front of which the school fills in with latest VR scores, expected 11+ result, ranking in the class as to how likely a child is to pass 11+ (seems to be various ways schools decide on this one) and a couple of other boxes to be ticked etc.

Ours was filled out in pencil to illustrate how the form worked and on the reverse of the form the school fill in detail about your child in various subjects indicating academic achievement etc. You attach this to your appeal form which your head also gives you along with an Appeal Pack.

Before your meet have a quick trawl through Etienne's recent postings on appeal (since Friday) and her Q and A link as well as Sally Anne on here and on the Bucks site, they really know the appeal workings and are quite superb.

Good luck tomorrow, our head was quite immovable, almost robotic so if you see chinks of light where you can jump in with a suggestion, I would try it!

Regards,
appeals

Post by appeals »

Hello Ambridge

Thank you so much for explaining in plain English. I have read Etienne's Q & A on appeals and they have been really helpful, just really apprehensive as to what the head has to say.

I am hoping we are going to get a good response from my son's school to submit along with the appeal form and the 2 x 120 he has attained.

Will keep you posted

Suki
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now