Appeal - Kent Nonqualification

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi twinkles
twinkles wrote:I have seen in other threads that people find out from HT what rating (if that's the correct terminology) the HT gave e.g. 2:2 or 1:2 - could someone please explain to me what these mean and do I need to find it out from HT.
That is only relevant to Buckinghamshire appeals - the system does not exist in Kent.
I am going to fill in the appeal form over the weekend and will just put that we are appealing for **** and more evidence will follow. Do I then get a date sent to me when appeal evidence has to be in by?
You can usually submit evidence up to 10 days before the hearing, but check the appeals leaflet for Kent for local information or call the Appeals department.

On the other points you raise about evidence, etc, take a good look at the Appeals Q&As - you should find most of the answers there.

Sally-Anne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Sally-Anne wrote:
I am going to fill in the appeal form over the weekend and will just put that we are appealing for **** and more evidence will follow. Do I then get a date sent to me when appeal evidence has to be in by?
It is also possible to take last minute documents to the panel (take enough copies for the panel, clerk and LEA side), although they would probably prompt an adjournment whilst the papers were studied. I've known an appeal be adjourned to a later date when a large amount of paperwork turned up on the day, and needed a lot of reading. So if possible, stick to Sally-Anne's advice and get it in on time.
Capers
toy

Post by toy »

Hi Twinkles, any joy with the HT and class teacher, as we are in similar situation. I've got the appeal form but I do not know if it is allowable to send the form stating that evidences and reasons would follow.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

From the KCC website:
Do I have to provide all this information before the closing date?

You should try to send your form and evidence by this date. If you can’t get everything you want to send ready in time, return your form by the closing date and send any later evidence to the same address as soon as you can. Make sure you put your child’s name and date of birth on any late papers you send.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

toy wrote:Hi Twinkles, any joy with the HT and class teacher, as we are in similar situation. I've got the appeal form but I do not know if it is allowable to send the form stating that evidences and reasons would follow.
Hi Toy. I went and saw HT last week and he said to send appeal form back stating that you are appealing and more evidence will follow. I have sent my appeal form in stating this. Haven't spoken to class teacher yet, we have parents evening in a couple of weeks so will speak to him then. When I spoke to HT in October he said he would write a letter so he better not let me down now!!

What area of Kent are you in if you don't mind me asking?
Ogremum

Post by Ogremum »

hey Twinkles - I would get your teacher visit in a bit earlier because they are trying to speed the whole process up in Kent this year. The sooner all complete appeals are done, the better, adjourned appeals delay it all.
Plus this is so important for you son, you need to be preparing other references too - outside interests etc

I picked up my HT letter last night, she also gave me graphs showing dd's perfomance since yr3, hers and the national average, plus the average in her year group - really good evidence.

Isn't it all so stressful :(
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Ogremum wrote:hey Twinkles - I would get your teacher visit in a bit earlier because they are trying to speed the whole process up in Kent this year. The sooner all complete appeals are done, the better, adjourned appeals delay it all.
Plus this is so important for you son, you need to be preparing other references too - outside interests etc

I picked up my HT letter last night, she also gave me graphs showing dd's perfomance since yr3, hers and the national average, plus the average in her year group - really good evidence.

Isn't it all so stressful :(
Hi Ogremum. OK thanks very much for that information, I hadn't heard that. So presumably appeals will be heard earlier then? Are you sending all your information in with appeal form then?

Yes you are right this is so important for my son, I am so worried about not getting enough/right information together and that I will let him down.

I am appealing for non-qualification are you? So I am unsure as to how much notice they will take of outside interests as I need to prove his academic evidence. What do you think?

Yes my HT did say he would give me a printout of performance since year 3. I must ask for a printout like you have been given, it sounds very detailed.

Yes, it is extremely stressful and I am so useless at this kind of thing and 'bigging up' my child - I wish I was one of those mums that just spouts on about how fantastic their child(ren) are!

Great to speak to someone going through the same experience though. Good luck with your appeal, what area in Kent are you from?
Ogremum

Post by Ogremum »

East Kent, going for FOlkestone School for Girl which is our closest grammar anyway. DD passed for Dover but didnt get a place due to distance and over subscription. Madness isnt it!
toy

Post by toy »

What area of Kent are you in if you don't mind me asking?
I'm in bexley, Twinkles.
I haven't submitted form as we have up till 30th of march to do so. Would be seeing the class teacher hopefully this week.
Good luck to everyone.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

I have asked my son's piano teacher for a letter to go with my appeal evidence and just wondered who does it need to be addressed to? Does it have to be addressed to appeal panel or just to whom it may concern?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now