Post by svpilot »

Hi guys,

I would really appreciate some advice,

My son didn't pass the Kent test. His scores were as follows:

VR: 121
NVR: 126
Maths: 112

Total: 359
Pass mark was 360, but each individual test need a min of 118.

I had resigned myself to the fact that was that, but I have a nagging doubt that I should appeal. The problem is this: Out head teacher says his school work wouldn't back up an appeal and said I should just accept it. His maths is at level 3a, she says others that passed are at level 4a.

I have even submitted the CAF without a Grammar school as a preference, but I have until midnight tomorrow to change my mind! Should I consider an appeal? Do I have a chance without the school's backing? Heeeelp!

Regards,

svp
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

My advice.

If you are confident he will obtain a place at any one of three of the chosen non-selectives, put these on the CAF, and then put a selective as your first choice. Perhaps the easiest to get into selective. At the very least this buys you four months of time.

On the minus side 3a is, however, even at yr5, not-indicative of selective ability. But, on the plus side, 112 is not significantly below the pass mark. Further, he passed NVR, which is generally considered to be an indicator of mathematical potential. Also, if you trawl through various of the threads on this site you will see refs to children considered to be level 5's at the end of yr5 who scored less than 112.

Lack of school support is not good. But, by the time the appeal stage arrives, in four months time, the position may have changed. He may by then have demonstrated increased maturity, or competency, in maths. It even gives you time to work on the maths. Good luck.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Hi,
Above advice seems v sensible. I would do the same. Winning appeal without HT support is more difficult but not impossible. Some schools don't support any appeals full stop. If you are realistic and have alternatives if you don't succeed then you have nothing to lose if you genuinely think he is suited to a Grammar school. By the way , the minimum mark was 117 not 118 so your son was 5 marks away not six.
svpilot

Post by svpilot »

Well, I've done it. I've just added the grammar school as a first choice The idea of an appeal fills me with dread, but I feel it's worth a shot. Thanks all.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now