Appeal begins?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

heartmum

Appeal begins?

Post by heartmum »

It's been a strange weekend, you find out the results, you comfort your DC and then have to decide the next step - to appeal or not to appeal?

As I already posted on another forum section my DC got 120 (1st test) 118 (2nd test), predicted high 5s for KS2 ... always worked at a good level but I would say that they have really only starting showing high quality work from Year 5. An August born and very young for their age emotionally (not a bad thing - all children grow up) and I think that it's taken till Year 5 to start maturing and her academic abilities to show.

I've now got to go into school on Monday to organise my meeting with the Head to discuss next steps. I'm not sure what the outcome will be but I'm worried they might not support the appeal and where would I go then?

Just when I thought my sleepless nights would end ... it begin's again :cry:
Heartmum x x x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi heartmum

I would hope that the Head will support you, because I feel it would be very wrong to deny your DD the chance of a future at a GS by not supporting her when the gap is only one mark.

If the Head does refuse to support you it is still perfectly possible to appeal. There are quite a few cases every year where Heads have not given their support, usually for "political reasons", i.e. they don't support the 11+ system. It tends to be more of a problem with OoC schools.

If you are faced with that, you must simply gather up every scrap of evidence of high ability that you can. You might also find that, even if the Head won't support you, the class teacher might quietly write in support of your DD.

Hope it goes the right way for you this week though.

Sally-Anne
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Heartmum, I have an Aug born too so know exactly what you mean about immaturity.

They have to take that test SO early, and yes, I know they are standardised, but some kids are simply not ready for it at the beginning of year 6.

Imagine the older half of the current yr6 taking the test last April/May, would they have got similar scores? I doubt it. Well that's what it's like for our kids.

Go for that appeal. You have nothing to lose yet everything to gain. x
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Thanks 'Sally-Anne & Tracy' for your supportive words x x x

Went into school this morning, a queue of mums waiting to make appointments to see the Head - couldn't get in today (already full) and will be seeing the Head tomorrow morning!

So yet another night of watching the hours on the clock roll by :roll:
Heartmum x x x
Milla

Post by Milla »

I feel for you, heartmum, I really do. I was lucky enough to get good news but that doesn't mean to say that I hadn't contemplated all this or can't sympathise/imagine. Am sure the immaturity thing is a factor, whether a product of the birth month or not. My boy is November but terribly immature. In fact, academically, he only really got going the last couple of years. Until then we knew that he was very clever, but he just hadn't got the hard wiring fixed to enable him to make use of it, marshall it, what you will. He was stumped by relative inarticularcy and it suddenly all came together in a clump. They grow up in such bizarre fits and starts and everything hinging on one day shortly after she's ten does seem tough.

The marks are close so it's got to be worth a shot and I hope your Head helps you. Good luck, and try not to lie awake fretting too much. You sound like a great mother!
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Thank you 'Milla' for your kind words. I'm very pleased for your DS, it's lovely that he did well x x x

I have two very good friends who DC's did exceptionally well in their test, I was so pleased for them - my friend's felt worried to mention their scores to me initially when they heard my news but I had to tell them that their DC's deserved their result and how proud I was at what they achieved.

I agree with the immaturity bit - I have friends who DC's are the oldest in the class but still very young for their age, for me not only was my DD an August born but very young emotionally. She has been showing signs in the last year of beginning to mature and the gap between her and her friends has started to close. I just hope my DD's school Head recognises this and takes this into account when assessing my DD's appeal.

Hopefully her good test results this month for predicated SAT's next year help!
Heartmum x x x
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

:) Feeling a bit happier today.

Went for my meeting with DD's Head who fully supports our appeal. Agreed with me that DD has really started to mature and show her academic abilities this last year. Both the Head and my DD's teacher are supporting this application, commenting that she is definitely Grammar School material and really does suit an environment where she is challenged.

Now that's the first step ... next the forms and my letter :shock:

Although all agree this is the best way to go with my DD it's being able (from my end) to prove her academic abilities are suited to this type of school and why she did not achieve higher marks in the 11+ when expected to!

From looking at the Q&A section on illness - do I include a copy of a letter the school had on the day of the 1st test where my DD had been off ill in the week prior to the test, was much better, would not listen to me and was adamant she wanted to do the test at the same time as her friends. But could have affected her performance. Resulting in 120 result. The second test she was much better and I think went in too confident and made silly mistakes. Resulting in 118. OR do I not mention this at appeal? It's a worry - knowing what to say and if it is the right thing. :roll:
Heartmum x x x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Would not listen to me and was adamant she wanted to do the test at the same time as her friends.
Panels hear this so often - and they may not like it! It's for the parent to decide, not the child, and if you send her in to school, the assumption has to be she is fit enough to take the test. You need to tread very, very carefully with this one!

My advice is that you say nothing to begin with about extenuating circumstances. (With such good scores you don't need much in the way of extenuating circumstances anyway.) Someone is bound to ask you "How were things on the day?" or "Can you think of any reason for underperforming?" At this point, very reluctantly, you explain what happened - but for maximum effect you must add " I realise I can't use this as an excuse, which is why I've hesitated to mention it. I do have with me a copy of the letter I sent the school if you wish to see it."
Etienne
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Thanks 'Etienne' that's what I thought - but will take note of the 'subtle' mention if the question is asked.

Your advice is appreciated x x x
Heartmum x x x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'll eat my (best) hat if no one asks it! :lol:
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now