Appeal begins?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Thanks 'Hope' :)

I've already re-written it five times :roll: by the end of this week who knows how many times it'll have been changed!
Heartmum x x x
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

When I met with the Head they mentioned that it would be a good idea also to show how DD is a confident/independant worker ... on her school report there are comments like:

"... she is an excellent team player, who can lead a team as well as follow a captain. She encourages others and also pushes herself to continually improve."

"... she can tackle new tasks and challenges that are set with confidence"

Obviously the copies of the school reports will be included in my appeal pack, however would it be a good idea to incorporate some comments into the initial letter showing, through school observations, that DD is suitable to a challenging environment. With the academic evidence to support the application and this other evidence would it show she has the ability to push herself and accept challenges, therefore being more than able to work at the expected levels of Grammar school?
Heartmum x x x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Heartmum

You can include a very few highlights in your letter. Your presentation to the panel should aim to include more of them to "remind the panel" of what they have read in the case notes.

Sally-Anne
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Thanks 'Sally-Anne' :)
Heartmum x x x
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

How far back should I go with copies of school reports, would Year 4 and Year 5 reports be sufficient?
Heartmum x x x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Heartmum

For the written submission Years 4 & 5 are plenty.

If reports before that are also sparkling, take them with you and hand them over with the schoolbooks at the end. Say to the panel that you have brought them simply for them to "glance at if they wish". It gives them a feeling that you have nothing to hide.

Sally-Anne
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

:) Thanks 'Sally-Anne' x x x
Heartmum x x x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

When I met with the Head they mentioned that it would be a good idea also to show how DD is a confident/independant worker ... on her school report there are comments like:

"... she is an excellent team player, who can lead a team as well as follow a captain. She encourages others and also pushes herself to continually improve."

"... she can tackle new tasks and challenges that are set with confidence"
Not sure I agree with the head, and I wouldn't overdo it! Reminds me of "What a nice chap he is" on Nif's thread.

Very praiseworthy, but the 11+ is about academic achievement and potential rather than motivation and personal qualities.
Etienne
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Hi 'Etienne' I can see your point - I suppose I'm trying to show, through school observations/evidence that DD has the ability to work hard and have the confidence to deal with the challenging/academic environment of Grammar.

However, I do have another question :roll:

The school will be submitting DD yearly test results, which I will be backing up with my paperwork (school do equivalent tests to SATs every year to check level of development):

Year 2: KS1 English = 3, Maths = 2a
Year 3: English = 3a, Maths = 3b
Year 4: English = 4, Maths = 3b
Year 5: English 4a/5, Maths = 4b
Year 6: Recent tests show currently working at: English = 5c, Maths = 4a (prediced to be 5b/a English, 5b Maths by SATs in May)

The results show Y3-4 there was no improvement in DD maths. This was a year when the teacher was regularly off due to health matters. Y5 DD moved from 3c in maths to 4b within the year. Y6 teacher also agrees DD works best this way, has already shown in recent tests to be working at level 4a for Maths with predicted 5b by May.

How best to present this. Do we leave out Y4 report/results until actual appeal and just send Y5 report/result with appeal form/letter, or do we send both and if asked at appeal how best to explain?

So many questions, such a short time in which to put a case forward - your advice is much appreciated x x x
Heartmum x x x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I would just focus on years 5-6. unless you want the earlier years to be part of your case (e.g. lack of maturity).

I don't think the panel will want to get bogged down in the details of what happened in year 4 if current predictions are level 5s. In the unlikely event that they ask, you could then explain.
I suppose I'm trying to show, through school observations/evidence that DD has the ability to work hard and have the confidence to deal with the challenging/academic environment of Grammar.
I understand your reasoning entirely - but that may not be how an appeal panel will look at it. I'm trying to get you to see your case from what I think is likely to be an appeal panel's perspective. :)
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now