What to mention at appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

We are putting together our presentation for DD's appeal, and have a couple of queries.

1) In her KS1 SATs she got level 3s in Literacy and Science, but only a 2A in Numeracy. Is it a good idea to mention this or best to leave it out?

2) In the Recommendation : Academic Potential section, does a "2" still equate to an expected pass mark of 121-130 (as it used to) ..... or is it sufficient to just mention the "2"?

Thanks for your help.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I wouldn't worry about a single 2a at KS1. After all, it might have been just a mark short of a level 3.

Officially there is no longer a link between the headteacher recommendation and the expected score, so you can't point to one. The only definition of a '2' is "highly recommended".

Hope this helps.
Etienne
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

Thanks for the clarification.

JB
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

On the appeal form, the only results we included are her predicted SATs (3 5's) and her 2 most recent VR scores (123 and 126).

With advice already recd, we intend to mention that she achieved 3,3 and 2A at the end of KS1.

Her school does not do CATs or anything similar, so should we mention the levels that she is already working to, based on tests in December - Numeracy 4B, Reading 5C, Writing 4A, Science 4A. DH thinks these look a little weak - especially the numeracy. If we do mention them, do we need to have it on paperwork from the school, (they've currently only given it to me on a scrap of paper), or can I just include the figures in our presentation? I am loathed to include her last report (at the end of Yr5) because it shows all her results since Reception, some of which go backwards!!), and she has made minimal progress since last July.

Just feel as if our "presentation" needs padding out a little, and backing up with as much evidence as possible!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear jb

The December SATs levels wouldn't be valid evidence unless put in writing by the school.

I think it's a close call, but on balance I probably wouldn't use them. If I remember correctly, you have KS2 predictions of three level 5s. The December results suggest daughter is on target for Numeracy 4A, Reading 5B, Writing 5C, Science 5C - which looks a bit borderline.
Etienne
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

:(
Do you think we have enough "proof" of her academic ability then, or should we try and get something else in writing in the next few days? I have the option of including her end of Yr5 report without the results page, which reads very positively except for a couple of comments - about her sometimes lacking confidence in numeracy, and another about her disappearing into her own dream world at times!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Do you think we have enough "proof"
I'm afraid that's a decision for your appeal panel! :)
My advice can only be general (i.e. the more indicators of high ability, the better).

If you have a scanner and want to scan and email the year 5 report + results page to the Appeals Box, we'll have a look at it for you.
Etienne
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

Thanks.

I PM-ed you last night. Just wanted to double-check that you've recd it.

JB
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

So sorry for the delay. (Pressure of work :))

Will be in touch.
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi JB

I sent you a PM last night, but it is still in my Outbox. Please check your Inbox and retrieve it.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now