Dyslexic son failed 11+ (BUCKS) Please see enclosed details

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi, Sugar
Did we mess up at the appeal?
No, I can't see that you did anything wrong.

I would suggest you ring the appeals team to ask if they would be kind enough to explain to you what the letter means (the 'justified reason' bit). If you don't get a clear answer, you may need to request a copy of the clerk's notes including the disability flowchart (£10).
Etienne
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Hi Etienne,
I will do this tomorrow.
What can I do going forward? Is it over? Or do I still have a chance? If My DD has not been treated fairly as a result of his disability who do I go to and can this change anything?

I think it is not unreasonable to be expected to be treated fairly!!

Thank you for your help yet again :cry:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

What can I do going forward?
First we have to establish all the facts.

Can I just double check that you submitted no new evidence at the hearing with regard to dyslexia?
Etienne
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

No we did not.
flossie

Post by flossie »

Sugar, I'm so sorry to hear the result of your appeal.

Good luck with your investigations - sounds like you've got a case there to me. What a strange response from the IAP, they don't make their reasoning clear at all.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Hi Etienne,

I called the office of the IAP and the person I spoke to was very helpful. I asked the question but she could not answer it and said she would look into it. I have requested the clerks notes and DDA flowchart (in the post today).

Good luck to everybody who is still waiting and thank you for all your kind words it really does help

X
Milla

Post by Milla »

I'm sorry to hear your sad news, Sugar, a distressing thing to be pursuing justice in this way. Good luck with your continued efforts and all the best to your boy. He's got a great mum!
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Thanks to your kind words. Yesterday was not a good day!!! :cry:
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Hi Etienne,

You arr no going to believe this but just I just got a letter from the IAP with the offer of a new appeal. This has made me feel physically sick(could not find appropriate emotion face).

What should I do?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi, Sugar

It's what I was privately thinking the outcome might be.

The 'justification' can be a valid reason in some specific instances. For example, if the LA hadn't had all the information about dyslexia at the time they took their decision, they couldn't be held responsible, and they would have been justified in not making reasonable adjustments.

They did know about it, however, and I checked with you above that no late evidence was submitted.

The IAP disagreed with the LA in deciding that the dyslexia was significant enough to count as a disability. All credit to them for asserting their independence. Where they went wrong was in coming up with an invalid justification for the lack of reasonable adjustments. I think it was a genuine mistake, but it's surprising that no one spotted it.

The appeals team must have realised, as soon as you phoned them, that the decision letter didn't look quite right. They have investigated, and acted very properly. The only remedy they can offer you in this situation is a fresh hearing with a completely different panel and clerk.

I'm afraid you face all the stress of another hearing, and the possibility that you could lose again (though if that were to happen, it would be for different reasons).

If you can summon up the strength, I think you should seriously consider going through the ordeal again - but only you can decide.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now