12+ Late Transfer, Bucks 119, Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

turbovin13

Post by turbovin13 »

Another mail in the appeals box Etienne.

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Turbovin - very difficult to say. 119 is so close, you must stand a chance, but the head's support and recommendation may not be enough. If I were on the panel, quite frankly I would be very suspicious about evidence that is referred to as being very good, but is withheld for no apparent reason. I've never heard of such a thing!

I wouldn't raise the amount of time available for preparation - it begs the question 'If he's so bright, why did he need so much time?" But if the panel ask you how long he had, just answer factually.

I do think it's a good idea about the exam dates.
Etienne
turbovin13

Post by turbovin13 »

Thanks Etinne for replying so late in the night. I am quite touched by your support. I was unwell and could not reply immediately.

I will speak to the Head w r t the grades.
turbovin13

Post by turbovin13 »

Guys,

Sorry to say that my DS's appeal did not go through.

He got 119. His current reports are 5's in English, 6's in Maths & 6/7 in Science. This apart from very strong recommendation from the Head and his subject teachers with facts to supprt.

The IAP said that not enough evidence.

Don't know what to do next.

He doesn't have a school yet. Year 8. Very shattered. Council is still allot him comprehensive.

We were under the impression that these kind of scores and a VR test mark of 119 shouldn't be a problem in making a successful appeal.
vin
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi vin

I am so sorry to hear that you were not successful.

I am afraid that panels can be quite tough on Late Transfer selection appeals. The marks are standardised against a national sample, rather than a Bucks sample, which means that the paper is perhaps slightly easier to pass than the 11+.

Although the English Level 5 is at the national average for a 13 year old child, I suspect that the panel will have felt that it is on the low side for a Bucks Grammar, and that may have been the Achilles Heel.

I hate to even mention this, but if the school you are allocated is not one you are happy with, you can always go to a Transfer Appeal.

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

So sorry to hear your news. I commented earlier on:
119 is so close, you must stand a chance, but the head's support and recommendation may not be enough. If I were on the panel, quite frankly I would be very suspicious about evidence [CATs] that is referred to as being very good, but is withheld for no apparent reason. I've never heard of such a thing!
Unfortunately we can't tell from the wording of the decision letter exactly what the panel's concerns were.
Etienne
turbovin13

Post by turbovin13 »

Sally-Anne, Etienne

Thanks for your replies.

I was confused, there was no CAT scores as the school does not conduct CATs or SATs. In fact the school being in Private Sector was one year ahead in studies and was preparing for Common Entrance for 13+.
vin