Appeals query for non qualification by 2 points for Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Flute1

Post by Flute1 »

Hi

Whilst we live in the Buckinghamshire area, we are outside of that local authority and have no Grammar school within our area. Our son recently sat the 11+ and gained an overall score of 119 (he got 111 in the first exam and 119 in the second). I am looking to appeal and have read some of the information currently available but am not sure now what best to put as I think its probably best I keep it short with a view to doing our best at the Panel Hearing.

Can you please advise if you think this would be sufficient on the appeals form:

Name
Date of Birth

Step 4: Tell us what grounds you have for appealing

We would be grateful if you would consider **** on the following grounds:

• Attained an overall score of 119 in the 11+ exam
• Predicted good level 5s for KS2, in English, Maths and Science
• Top group for Maths and English and has been throughout his time at his present school
• Supporting evidence from Kip McGrath included (please see attached)
• Strong support from Head Teacher of his current school

**** is very keen to learn and is also self motivated, and tries hard with everything he undertakes: for example both in 2008 and 2009 he has been within the top groups gaining 1st place in the small ensemble in 2008 and silver in 2009 within the large ensemble for the ‘annual brass, woodwind and string festival’ held in Milton Keynes.

We also feel that it is very important that he be continually stretched to aid his development and achieve his full potential and feel that Grammar School is best suited to achieve this.

To sum up, due to all of the above we feel that **** would be a real strong candidate for Grammar School

Many thanks for all your help have tied myself up with this!!

Thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Flute1

You will struggle to fit all that into the box on the appeal form, so I assume that you are adding an additional sheet?

The scores are going in the right direction, which is encouraging. Was there any reason that you feel he underperformed on either day, especially the first day? (You can email any confidential information to us via the link at the top of this section.)
Supporting evidence from Kip McGrath included (please see attached)
I really, really would not include that. The panel might conclude "this child has had out-of-school support, and yet still cannot qualify for the 11+".
**** is very keen to learn and is also self motivated, and tries hard with everything he undertakes: for example both in 2008 and 2009 he has been within the top groups gaining 1st place in the small ensemble in 2008 and silver in 2009 within the large ensemble for the ‘annual brass, woodwind and string festival’ held in Milton Keynes.
I am concerned about you mixing up academic evidence with non-academic.

You can include quotes from the Head's summary sheet about his ability and also from school reports, such as "The Head recommended him as a 1:1 abd describes him as being a boy with very high ability." Highlights such as that are always good, because they help to remind the panel of the case on the day.

Sally-Anne
Flute1

Post by Flute1 »

Sally-Anne wrote:Hi Flute1

You will struggle to fit all that into the box on the appeal form, so I assume that you are adding an additional sheet?

The scores are going in the right direction, which is encouraging. Was there any reason that you feel he underperformed on either day, especially the first day? (You can email any confidential information to us via the link at the top of this section.)
Supporting evidence from Kip McGrath included (please see attached)
I really, really would not include that. The panel might conclude "this child has had out-of-school support, and yet still cannot qualify for the 11+".
I am concerned about you mixing up academic evidence with non-academic.

You can include quotes from the Head's summary sheet about his ability and also from school reports, such as "The Head recommended him as a 1:1 abd describes him as being a boy with very high ability." Highlights such as that are always good, because they help to remind the panel of the case on the day.

Sally-Anne
Hi Sally-Anne

I have sent a private message (hopefully) which I have included more detail; please let me know if you don't get this, hopefully I have done correctly.

Really appreciate your response; and would be grateful if you could take a look at the other information regarding the Head Teachers summary etc and to see where best to go from there.

Thanks again, C (Flute 1)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Flute1

Thank you for the PM. Please note (and would all those using this section please note) that Etienne and I simply do not have the time to comment on individual appeal letters via PM or email other than in the most exceptional circumstances.

A quick glance says that the letter is fine Flute1

Sally-Anne
Flute1

Post by Flute1 »

Sally-Anne wrote:Hi Flute1

Thank you for the PM. Please note (and would all those using this section please note) that Etienne and I simply do not have the time to comment on individual appeal letters via PM or email other than in the most exceptional circumstances.

A quick glance says that the letter is fine Flute1

Sally-Anne

Hi Sally-Anne

Many thanks, I will just amend as you previously said and highlight what the Head Teacher has said and fingers crossed.

Thanks again
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

We also feel that it is very important that he be continually stretched to aid his development and achieve his full potential and feel that Grammar School is best suited to achieve this.
Much as I prefer "We feel ....." to a dogmatic "There is absolutely no doubt that ......", I suggest you're overdoing the assertions. Have a second look at http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#e11
To sum up, due to all of the above we feel that **** would be a real strong candidate for Grammar School
Isn't that for the panel to decide?

Sorry! Just cautioning you as to how it might be perceived ........

Something more diplomatic might be advisable - e.g. "We respectfully ask you to weigh up all the evidence, and hope that you might decide **** should be considered qualified for grammar school."
Etienne
Flute1

Post by Flute1 »

Etienne wrote:
Much as I prefer "We feel ....." to a dogmatic "There is absolutely no doubt that ......", I suggest you're overdoing the assertions. Have a second look at http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#e11
Isn't that for the panel to decide?

Sorry! Just cautioning you as to how it might be perceived ........

Something more diplomatic might be advisable - e.g. "We respectfully ask you to weigh up all the evidence, and hope that you might decide **** should be considered qualified for grammar school."

Hi there

I will definately change it, as that sounds much better. I am going to finalise it this weekend and then send it off.

Thank you again for your time. I shall keep my fingers crossed that they will consider him.

Many regards, C (Flute 1)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now