Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
flossie

Missed By One Mark Bucks

Post by flossie »

Hi Etienne, Sally-Anne,

My dd took the Bucks exam and had a 120 followed by a 113 :cry:
I have made good use of the appeals box!

dd is not in Bucks catchment and has been recommended as a 2/1

I am still trying to sort out the appeal and letter - deadline Friday.

Please would you take a quick look at the supporting evidence and let me know if I should include dd's reports and also let me know how strong you think the academic evidence looks.

Thanks once again
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Flossie

It is not relevant at an appeal that you are out of catchment.

Provided you have the Head teacher's summary form you can send that, along with the yellow appeal form immediately and then assemble the remainder of your case and evidence at a more leisurely pace, although I suggest you try to get it all done before Christmas so it isn't preying on your mind. On the appeal form you can just write "To follow" in the evidence box.

You need to try to explain the 113 score. On the 120 you do not have to prove very much.

Unfortunately we simply do not have the time to look through emailed evidence for individual cases unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear flossie

Panels quite like to see the most recent school report, so I think I would submit the one for year 5, even though (like so many school reports these days) it doesn't say a great deal about academic achievement. It would have been helpful if it had given national curriculum 'working at' levels.

I don't think the year 4 report would add anything.

I'm wondering if the school is providing letters of support instead of completing the headteacher's summary sheet?

I assume you've read the Q&As?
In particular:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11

Good luck!
Etienne
flossie

Post by flossie »

Hi Etienne,

Thanks for taking a look at this for me.

I agree the report is bland isn't it?

We have got a headteacher's summary sheet which fills in the relevant sections and then refers the reader to the letter of support.

Do you think the letters are strongly supportive and also how strong do you think the academic evidence is?

Thanks
flossie

Post by flossie »

Hi Sally-Anne,

Sorry, you must be overwhelmed with emailed evidence at the moment. I will post as much as I can on the site now and after the appeal, so that others can benefit as much as I have.

Thanks
x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The letters from the school are very nice, and a bit more informative (level 5s for 2 subjects, top end of the year in one of them, borderline in a 3rd subject). but probably focus too much on character and extra curricular activities. It's understandable - the school is in another LA, and there's no reason why they should know exactly what is going to help. You're lucky that they're willing to write in support - not all out of county schools will!

My main concerns would be:
• the lack of three straight level 5 predictions
• the lack of CATs or any alternative VR tests (because the school presumably doesn't do them)

It would also have been useful to have had:
• optional SATs results from year 5
• a reading age

You must stand a chance with a score as high as 120. Let's hope the panel don't dwell too long on the 113!
Etienne
flossie

Post by flossie »

Hi Etienne,

Thanks for your help. I have no CAT scores to offer unfortunately, I will get cracking on that letter now and see what happens in the new year.