Appeal at 120

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DMF

Appeal at 120

Post by DMF »

Hi Etienne and Sally-Anne

I would be grateful for any advice you can give me. This is my second appeal and reading this forum gave me hope in my darkest moments last year - thankfully my DD1's appeal was successful - DD1 received a shock 11+ result despite being a top academic performer throughout primary school. DD1's doing really well at GS so there is hope

DD2 scored 120 and 118 respectively this year. Chances of success at an appeal for DD2 are much higher but I'd value your opinion on the strength of the case.

I have strong head teacher support and a 2,3 rating. HT comments DD is a creative thinker who would benefit greatly from GS. The 3 relates to a lack of maturity. DD has a late August birthday and arrived very prematurely - over 9 weeks early. I have always felt DD has been in the wrong year! I appreciate scores will have been adjusted for age.

However her Y5 report indicates she has matured! Her SATS at the end of Year 5 were
Reading 5
Writing 4b
Reading Age 11.1
Maths 3a
Science 4c
The HT has predicted all 5s and commented that DD is now a secure 4 in Maths having moved two thirds of a level in a term.

DD's NFER verbal reasoning has been consistent at 123 for the last 2 years, so top 10%.

I had DD assessed by an EP earlier this year and DD achieved the following results
VCI 119 90th percentile so again top 10%
PRI 108 70th percentile
WMI 91 27th percentile
PSI 131 98th percentile
FSIQ 117 87th percentile

Additionally DD in the WIAT subtests scored
word reading 98 45th percentile
reading comprehension 126 96th percentile
pseudoword decoding 101 53rd percentile
numerical operations 102 55th percentile
spelling 100 50th percentile
written expression 135 99th percentile

indicating DD has significant strengths in reading comprehension and written expression. The EP commented that DD has a mild specific learning difficulty which slightly depressed word reading and spelling and could cause DD to lose marks on the 11+ and fall just short of the pass mark- that came true!

Extenuating circumstances include illness(tamiflu prescribed and confirmed by GP) and absence from familiarity sessions (confirmed by HT)although DD was back for practice tests and did fine (74, 69 and 74/80 - maths let DD down on the middle one).

However, teachers noted a dip in behaviour and performance at the time of the tests probably beacuse of illness/immaturity. As well as being young DD has experienced a difficult family situation throughout DDs primary school years divorce etc, which the HT has commented on. HT has also mentioned that DD has become more mature and confident in ability since family situation has stabilised.

Apologies for bombarding you with so much information - it's all going round and round in my head and I would be very grateful for any help. I really admire the support you give to people - it helped me a lot last year and I have recomended the site to friends appealing this year. Many thanks in advance. DMF
Etienne

Re: Appeal at 120

Post by Etienne »

Dear DMF

Welcome back! :)
DD2 scored 120 and 118 respectively this year.
Two very respectable scores!
The 3 relates to a lack of maturity. DD has a late August birthday and arrived very prematurely - over 9 weeks early. I have always felt DD has been in the wrong year! I appreciate scores will have been adjusted for age.
I think this should be an important part of your case.
However her Y5 report indicates she has matured! Her SATS at the end of Year 5 were
Reading 5
Writing 4b
Reading Age 11.1
Maths 3a
Science 4c
The HT has predicted all 5s and commented that DD is now a secure 4 in Maths having moved two thirds of a level in a term.
Good! Important to emphasise the last point ("...DD is now a secure 4 in Maths, having moved two thirds of a level in a term, and is now on target for level 5."
DD's NFER verbal reasoning has been consistent at 123 for the last 2 years, so top 10%.
Borderline, but just about acceptable, I would have thought.
I had DD assessed by an EP earlier this year and DD achieved the following results
VCI 119 90th percentile so again top 10%
PRI 108 70th percentile
WMI 91 27th percentile
PSI 131 98th percentile
FSIQ 117 87th percentile

Additionally DD in the WIAT subtests scored
word reading 98 45th percentile
reading comprehension 126 96th percentile
pseudoword decoding 101 53rd percentile
numerical operations 102 55th percentile
spelling 100 50th percentile
written expression 135 99th percentile

indicating DD has significant strengths in reading comprehension and written expression. The EP commented that DD has a mild specific learning difficulty which slightly depressed word reading and spelling and could cause DD to lose marks on the 11+ and fall just short of the pass mark- that came true!
I have mixed views about this. The panel may well focus on the VCI and FSIQ, which are just a bit on the low side, relatively speaking, and won't help your case. Perceptual reasoning is not so high one could argue that her strengths lie elsewhere than in VR. On the other hand, the bit about 'mild specific learning difficulty' is helpful.

There's no easy answer. I can only tell you what you could do in this situation, but it has to be a decision for you. I wouldn't submit the EP report. Exceptionally, I would say at the hearing that I had had one done a year ago, but hadn't submitted it as evidence because it identified only a mild SLD, and this wouldn't be enough to count as a disability or to suggest that extra time should have been requested. If asked about scores, you could say, quite correctly, that verbal comprehension was around the 90th percentile.
HT has also mentioned that DD has become more mature and confident in ability since family situation has stabilised.
That's very helpful. I would make 'maturity' your main argument.

You've a number of extenuating circumstances, but I feel it's important not to overplay them, or there's a risk they will start to sound like 'excuses'. By all means include a note from the GP and the head's statement about the familiarity sessions, but don't refer to them as part of your case. Wait for the panel to ask you questions if they wish. Your main argument should be 'maturity' (and a brief mention of a SLD).

Good luck! I would say you have at least a 50/50 chance.
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Re: Appeal at 120

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi DMF

Welcome back from me also.
DMF wrote:DD has a late August birthday and arrived very prematurely - over 9 weeks early. I have always felt DD has been in the wrong year! I appreciate scores will have been adjusted for age.
I completely agree with Etienne - this is a very important part of the appeal. There is considerable evidence to show that the youngest children in each year under-perform compared to their older peers, and it is likely that the age standardisation for the 11+ cannot fully compensate for this. Nor can it ever compensate for prematurity. You do not need to tell the panel that though - they will already be aware of it.

Although I am sure that the panel will take your statement about her premature birth at face value, if you still have some evidence that confirms it, I suggest you take it with you to the hearing. You can then mention that you have supporting information about the premature birth, should the panel wish to examine it. They may ask for it out of politeness or the Chairman may simply say "no, that won't be necessary".
Phew! I wasn't happy when I saw 3a for end of Year 5.

I am with Etienne on the EP report - I think it raises more questions than it provides answers.
Extenuating circumstances include illness(tamiflu prescribed and confirmed by GP) and absence from familiarity sessions (confirmed by HT)although DD was back for practice tests and did fine (74, 69 and 74/80 - maths let DD down on the middle one).
As she was back at school I would only give this a very slight mention. As Etienne says, don't overdo the extenuating circumstances.

Good luck with preparing the letter.
Etienne wrote:Good luck! I would say you have at least a 50/50 chance.
I would say 60/40! :D

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Etienne
DMF

Post by DMF »

Thank you both very much. You have helped me clarify a lot. I will be preparing the letter today for hand delivery tomorrow. Best of luck to everyone out there :)
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

'DMF' I too have an August born, who attained 120/118 in the 11+. I wish you all the best in your appeal x x x

My DD was only 3 weeks early - she was as determined then as she is now ... just couldn't wait! Had she been born a few days after her due date she'd be in year 5 now practising for the 11+ next October :roll:
Heartmum x x x
DMF

Post by DMF »

Thanks for your support Heart Mum.

It's hard being an August baby. Having one born in September and one in August I've really seen the difference at school. I'm sure with another year under their belt they would have scored one more mark!!!

Best of luck with your appeal too xx
DMF

Post by DMF »

Hi Sally-Anne & Etienne

I've been following everyone's cases and taking all of the great advice on board and sharing all the ups and downs (sadly) as the results come through. It's a very emotional time and the work you do is fantastic.

Our appeal is one of the last and I have some additional academic evidence I submitted to the panel last week. I took your advice and submitted the case without the EP assessment data but now have some additional test scores which I think are more indicative of DD's potential.

I'd be really grateful if you'd take a look now that the forum is a little less busy. Do let me know if this is OK, and if so, I will post in the Appeals Box

Many thanks in advance
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

S-A and I are still very busy behind the scenes, but happy to try and take a look.
Etienne
DMF

Post by DMF »

Thanks Etienne for the prompt response. Much appreciated. I've been waiting until it seemed a little quieter but I guess there is always a lot to do unfortunately! I will send it through. Thanks again.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now