Appeal for hertchel grammar school

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum535

Appeal for hertchel grammar school

Post by mum535 »

Unfortunately my daughter couldn't pass. Her score is 103. Just want an advise should I bother to go for appeal or not. Beacuse I am very confused. :(
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

There is a lot of information about Slough Appeals on this thread...

Slough Appeals Guidelines

HTH

BW
chad

Post by chad »

sorry to hear that your daughter did not get the result she wanted. It will be a hard task to convince the panel that your daughter underperformed on the day.
You will need excellent predicted grades for Sats and evidence of her being academally able. At 8 points below pass mark they would also be looking for a reason why she underperformed. For any score of less than 110/109 the case for appeal must be strong.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
mum535

Post by mum535 »

Thankz Bewildered and Chad for your help.
All this explains a lot.
My daughter is really good at her sats and she is 5c in literacy numeracy writting and reading as well, So do you advice me to appeal or not.
Sorry I m confused that is wy I am asking you.
chad

Post by chad »

Only you can actually decide whether to appeal or not as you know your daughter the best.
If she is achieving level 5 now then that is a good start.

Have you spoken to the primary school and asked their opinion. Do they believe that your child is suited to grammar school.Have the school done any CATS tests that would back up your appeal.

What was the split between Verbal reasoning and Von verbal acores in the 11+. Does it show a large difference between the scores or were they pretty similar.

Did your daughter do the Slough Grammar test...if so what were her scores on that one......it tests Maths as well..so some children (who prefer Maths)do better at that one.
mum535

Post by mum535 »

All I wanted to know that on what grounds you can win the appeal. My daughter is very good in her sats as I told you.
Her score was 103. Nonverbal 109 Verbal 96.
I believe that is not enough to win the appeal but just want some advice.
I can speak to her school about it, they will give me her previous result but will it be enough to win the appeal.
Or Am I just being a pushy mum.
I don't know.
chad

Post by chad »

HI Mum535

With both scores being under 111 I would personally say it would be an impossible task to win at appeal unless you had significant academic evidence and mitigating circumstances..... and even then you would be facing a hard struggle. The only successful appeals I have heard of within the consortium are when a child has missed by 1 or 2 marks or have significant mitigating circumstances (bereavement in family, long term illness, english not first language etc).
mum535

Post by mum535 »

Thank you very much chad for your advice.
Now I know what to do. I think I should concentrate on her sats and school. Now I know its most likely impossible to do it, its good that I came here to get advice, if I would have gone straight to appeal and then failing it, my daughter heart would have been broken again, which I don't want. Thankz again. On the other hand I think that pushing her to do it will be a little harsh to her. And I don't want her to struggle in coming years.
Thankz again.
I must say that you are doing great job. The response for any question or query is too quick that I am actually suprised.
Well keep it up and all the best.
chad

Post by chad »

Dear Mum535,

It may be that she has not matured enough yet or one of those children that just doesn't suit the 11+ format .... it does happen. If next year she is in the top sets and getting good grades then it may be possible to move her.... I am not sure that Herschel take in Year 8 but I do know that Slough Grammar does (if you pass the Y8 test).
It would all depend on whether she was settled at her new school or you think she could do better in the grammar environment.
Take heart in the fact that 'Cream always rises to the top'. I am sure with such a supportive mum she will do well.
delta

Post by delta »

Friend of mine has just got her dd into Year 8 at Herschel mid-year - starting next month.