Headteachers recommendations - Bucks Appeal next week

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ohmum!

Headteachers recommendations - Bucks Appeal next week

Post by ohmum! »

Hi

I've received the papers for our selection appeal next week. The headteachers recommendations are worrying me. Our DS was a recommended 2:1 and the HT has strongly supported our appeal - We had intended placing some weight on this (He got 114 and 117 and we are a bit short of much in the way of standardised test results etc) but now feel that this argument is a weak, given the stats:

1:1 2(1)
1:2 2(2)
1:3 0(0)
2:1 5(0)
2:2 1(0)
2:3 0(0)
3:1 2(0)
3:2 2(0)
3:3 0(0)

These results were a shock for the school as this is the lowest number that the school has had in the last 10 years. Every year, for as long as I can remember, between 6 and 11 children have achieved the qualifying mark (not counting those who went on to be successful on appeal) and the school's SATS results are always well above both national and Bucks averages. Something definitely went wrong this year... I'm worried that the panel might draw a conclusion that the HT is over-cooking her assessment of his ability... Help! How do I address this?

Thank you for all of the support given on this forum. I am eternally grateful to everyone... whatever the outcome..

OhMum!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear OhMum

I understand your concern. Looking at the HTR figures, they do not appear on the surface to help your case. The '!' recommendations are all right. The '2' recommendations could have included a lot of children on the borderline. Let's hope the panel will conclude that they cannot draw any firm conclusions.

Unless you're aware of a possible explanation (e.g. a change of headteacher), it's not really an issue for you to address. Most panels are not going to ask parents to comment, although we do hear of the odd occasion when they do. If this happens, you should reply "We're sorry but we don't feel qualified to comment on the headteacher's overall recommendations. All we know is that everyone seemed shocked at the number of children qualifying this year."

Don't put forward 2:1 at the hearing as part of your case. Focus on your other points.
Etienne
ohmum!

Post by ohmum! »

Thanks for your advice, Etienne.

Starting to panic now. Think I need to get into a more positive frame of mind...

Oh Mum!
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

'ohmum' I also had concerns with our HT recommendations/results!

However, as I've posted on another thread, in our appeal the LA Rep brought up the HT recommendations. They more or less said (not exact words :roll: ) that we should not be concerned with the accuracy of the results as many HTs base this not just on the expectation of the 11+ but the child's school academic/performance. The Rep also went on to say that there can be a big difference in HT recommendation/results and not to worry about this!

At the time I was slighty surprised by this comment as I fully expected it to be raised at the appeal by the panel. And was prepared with my answer (so helpfully given by Etienne :wink: ). However, due to the LA Rep bringing this up right at the beginning of the appeal - no reference was made after that!
Heartmum x x x
ohmum!

Post by ohmum! »

Thanks, Heartmum

What a "nice" LA Rep. Hope we get one like that! Feeling a bit better now.

OhMum!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now