Appeal help please

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tenorsax

Appeal help please

Post by tenorsax »

Hi,

My DS recently took two 11+ exams, the first he passed and was offered a guaranteed place with what was described in the pass letter as an "extremely" high score. Subsequently he took a second 11+ exam and had a poor result and finished 18 places off a pass but was within the top 25%. I've contacted the school and they've told me this is highly unusual but does happen to maybe one or two boys each year. Both myself, DW and DS favour the second school. Would we have any grounds for appeal on the grounds of under performance on the day in second test?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

welcome to the forum

Can you use this for an appeal... well depends on what sorts of schools they are? Are they state schools .. if so there is a appeals procedure which is fully described on the website - also you would have been sent info about the procedure for this with the results.

Or are they independent schools? in this case the tests may have been very different and I don't think that independents often go down the appeal line..

Feel free to post a bit more info!!
tenorsax

Post by tenorsax »

Hi,

Many thanks for your quick reply hermanmunster.

The schools are both Sutton Grammar schools in Surrey. Can you let me know what additional information I should post.

Thank you
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Were the two tests of exactly the same format, and how were they standardised?
Etienne
tenorsax

Post by tenorsax »

Hi,

Yes both tests were the same, consisted of Maths, English and VR. Not sure about the standardisation, I'll have to check. Would it help if I named the Grammar schools?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No, thanks, that's not necessary.

Generally speaking, an 11+ test in one authority might not be acceptable in another authority, because there is the issue of whether the standard of the two tests is comparable.

If we were talking here about two VR tests in the same area, with the same format, the same standardisation, the same sort of cohort, I can see they might be viewed as more or less comparable.

Throw in a curriculum subject such as English, and it could become more complicated. Might we be talking about an essay or a comprehension, marked by different people?

To get to the point, however, I've never heard of an appeal based simply on another 11+ result. Usually this would be just one part of the alternative academic evidence presented to an appeal panel. It would be up to the appeal panel to decide whether the alternative 11+ result was comparable, and, if so, how much weight to give it.

With regard to grounds for appeal, the Code of Practice says:
Where there is no local review process ..... or no local review process has been applied, the panel should consider any factors which appellants contend may have affected the child’s performance (e.g. illness, bereavement); whether the family made the admission authority aware of these before they sat the test; and whether it offered alternative testing arrangements or made reasonable adjustments (e.g. in the case of children with disabilities). The panel may then need to consider any clear evidence presented by the appellants to support their claim that the child is of the required academic standard e.g. school reports giving Year 5/Year 6 SAT results or a letter of support from their current or previous school clearly indicating why the child is considered to be of grammar school ability.
Etienne
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Knowing the area well and the schools you will be referring to, although the tests cover the same subjects each school sets its own test and the format differs between the schools. The former to which you have a guaranteed place tends to have a shorter exam and of course each has an essay and comprehension.

There is no reason not to appeal, but there are many children each year who pass one test and not the other, however not usually with such a large margin as your son. I suspect your successful result in the first school would be one part of your academic evidence in an appeal.
tenorsax

Post by tenorsax »

Many thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure if there is a precedent for this type of appeal?

What additional information do you think would form substance at appeal?

TIA, Tenorsax
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Tenorsax

I suggest that you start by reading the Appeals Q&As (link at the top of this page) and then ask specific questions after that.

Sally-Anne
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

The majority of people in Sutton end up going to the grammar school they get a place at rather than appealing, but there certainly are some appeals each year. I am afraid I don't personally know anyone who has been through the process as all our friends settled for the one they got.