117/117 scores

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

AB99

117/117 scores

Post by AB99 »

My daughter got 117 and 117 on her Bucks 11+, total shock to the school and us. Had meeting with Headteacher this morning about appeal and HT had given exceptional recommendation for both aspects of her abilities. We have never come across CAT scores but she is predicted for 5's in her YR6 sats, streamed top group on both English and Maths. She was diagnosed with a virus the week before the first test but aced that week's practice paper 79 out of 80 so I am not sure that I should use the virus as a contributary factor to her scores, she worried about the tests a great deal as she so wants to go to the GS and we all believe she should be there. Any advice on whether to include the virus as a factor along with general worry and any best guesses on the success rate for a 117 score being successful in appeal?
Etienne

Re: 117/117 scores

Post by Etienne »

There's a 24% chance of success with 117, but that's just an average. In reality each case is considered on its own merits.

There is sometimes a mismatch between performance in the curriculum and performance in the 11+ - not surprising when they measure different things.

This is why a CAT score (a non-curriculum test) would have been of some interest. Leaving aside the practice papers, has the school ever done any NFER VR tests?

It would also help to know what sort of level 5 is expected. It covers a wide range of ability from borderline level 5, through sound level 5, to high level 5. This is something you could discuss with the school.

The virus might be worth a very brief mention at the hearing itself, but best to play it down.
Etienne
AB99

Post by AB99 »

I am not sure the school have ever done any NFER on the children, I am certain we have not been given any information about it but will definitely ask.

Again on Sats it is a sound level 5 with possibilityl for high level in Maths, her class have recently been working on GCSE algebra which she handled well.

Appreciate the point regarding the virus, in truth it will not have been the cause of the results but perhaps combined with natural anxiety and lack of sleep the night before all contributed to under performance, I also think she picked up hugely on my nerves for her but have been told that I should not mention this. School have given her a 1:1 and are doing what they can to support. My biggest worry is how to explain the results adequately when none of us understand them.

I believe her academic ability and nature will be the strongest possible and worry that I will not be able to put across an adequate reason for the results, enough to convince the panel that she should be at GS. I have looked through all the general advice you have given and will be using that as much as possible but if there are any additional points you can give me I would be very grateful.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

AB99 wrote:Again on Sats it is a sound level 5 with possibilityl for high level in Maths, her class have recently been working on GCSE algebra which she handled well.
If she's stronger on the maths side, it might be worth mentioning this. (The implication is that VR may not have been a full reflection of her abilities - but don't go so far as to say that.)
Appreciate the point regarding the virus, in truth it will not have been the cause of the results but perhaps combined with natural anxiety and lack of sleep the night before all contributed to under performance, I also think she picked up hugely on my nerves for her but have been told that I should not mention this. School have given her a 1:1 and are doing what they can to support. My biggest worry is how to explain the results adequately when none of us understand them.
I think you may be putting too much pressure on yourself. Most appeals are probably decided by how the panel judge the evidence - what you say is unlikely to alter that. My advice is to mention extenuating circumstances only very briefly in the first instance because they're not particularly strong (you cannot easily prove nerves and sleeplessness, and cannot reverse a decision that the child was fit enough to attend school). Let the panel ask you questions if they wish (and they probably will), but if you yourself put the focus on extenuating circumstances there's a real risk they will come across as a bit lame, and sound as if you're struggling to find excuses.

I do of course appreciate that what you're struggling with is to understand what happened - but that's a point you can be honest about and put to the panel. Judging the impact of circumstances is no easy task for parent or panel! All you can do is hope that with such respectable 11+ scores they will take the view that you don't have too much to explain. The key is more likely to lie with the strength and range of the academic evidence.
Etienne
emsy

Post by emsy »

I am in a different area (Trafford) but I had a successful non-qualification appeal 2 years ago with strong school support and good academic evidence but no good reason for not passing. I concentrated on the academic evidence and got a very supportive letter from the school and just put one sentence at the end at the end saying that I didn't know why she didn't pass but she finds new situations difficult. I can PM you more details if it would help.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

'AB99' .. after going through this last year - my DC got 120/118 I know how you are feeling at the moment x x x

As both Etienne and 'emsy' have said it's about obtaining as much information on academic ability as possible - as this is what the appeal panel will be looking at. Like your DDs school, ours does not do CATs, so to ensure I could show that my DC was working at high level 5s, I asked the school to write down predicted SATS levels (on school headed paper) which showed they were working at 5a/b (higher level ability). In adddition I obtained reading/spelling age to show again that our DC was working at a much higher level than their age.

Also look at your DDs school reports are their any references to academic ability/achievements - our DCs had some great comments, which helped to back up what we were trying to get across to the panel.

Appeal is not an easy option - but if you know the grammar school is right for your child then you have to try.

We were successfull :D and to those who questioned whether it was the right decision to appeal - I just look at my DC who has been at their school since September, who loves going every day (even though they have to get up at 6:30am and gets home around 5pm) and is doing well in all subjects! :D
Heartmum x x x
AB99

Post by AB99 »

Thanks everyone, am busy gathering evidence and am meeting with the class teacher early next week to make sure that I have captured everything I can possibly include, then I just have to write the covering letter!

Thanks again for all the advice, its helped calm the panic, but if anyone thinks of anything else please let me know.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now