Wirral Grammar Girls

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

an apple a day

Wirral Grammar Girls

Post by an apple a day »

Hi
Was wondering if you know of anyone who is appealing for non-qualifacation ? If so had they already been referred by head teacher to IAB ? Does anyone know if anyone was allocated a place throught head teachers referral ?
Thanks
wirral dad

Non Qual appeal

Post by wirral dad »

Hi apple

I'm appealing against non-qual to WGSC and WKG on behalf of DD. Was already referred by Head and denied by IAB.
A worrying time!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If your case has already been to the IAB, you will need to check whether the admission authority will seek to restrict what can be considered at an appeal. There were problems in Wirral a couple of years ago.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... highlight=

See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b18
Etienne
wirral dad

Post by wirral dad »

Hi Etienne,

many thanks for the warning.

I am appealing on non-qual grounds with additional extenuating circumstance which was not available (for stated reasons) to the headmaster at time of IAB appeal.
If my appeal is refused before any hearing - I will let you know.
wirral dad

Post by wirral dad »

Etienne,

I have sent you a copy of the draft appeal for for WBC via the appeals box due to the sensitive nature of my appeal. Any thoughts would be welcome.
At the very least you now have a copy of the appeals form :-). I note that nothing is stated re the issue of previous appeals to IAB but reading the form it could be argued it is set out for allocation rather than non qual.

I will keep you posted.

Many thanks for your input.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear wirral dad

I'm afraid we can't normally help with draft appeal submissions (life's too short :)). I would reassure you, however, that most appeal panels have come across the sort of personal extenuating circumstances you describe. I would also advise you not to raise the issue of standardisation - it's not an argument that you will win or that will help your case!

The appeal form looks like a standard form that they issue for all appeals. In fact, it seems to be out of date - the second part of the following would now be unlawful:
It is not necessary for your child to attend the hearing and he/she will not normally be allowed into the meeting.
Unless you inquire beforehand - and get a helpful response - you wouldn't normally know the basis of the authority's case until you receive it a week or two before the hearing.
Etienne
wirral dad

Post by wirral dad »

Dear Etienne,

sorry - wasn't really asking for a review as such just pointing out that my appeal wasn't just based on academic evidence as might be the case for original poster and your concerns about wirral allowing such appeals when case has already been heard by IAB.

Thanks for your input in any case.

Wirral dad
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now