question for etienne or anyone else in the know.......

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
frustrated

question for etienne or anyone else in the know.......

Post by frustrated »

I have an oversubscription appeal in the pipeline, and feel that I have have put forward a reasonable case.

The school that I am appealing for accepts children on the basis that they have passed their kent test, but doesn't take actual scores into account.

I have read on 'another site' that this particular school favours highest scoring children during appeals.

I am quite concerned about this, as we are not appealing on the basis of non-qualification, and nowhere, either in the information given in the admissions booklet nor on the school's website does it state that actual scores are taken into account.

Could the appeals panel take scores into account when deciding on which appeals to uphold during oversubscription appeals even though this is not a criteria for gaining a place in the first place?

Am very worried, as feel that this would negatively affect our appeal.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I am sure someone will have an excellent factual answer for you, but I would have thought that if your DC passed, then they passed. Your appeal is based on why this school is simply the best for your child and it is perfect for the reasons outlined by you. It would be very unreasonable for them to impose a different criteria on oversubsription than on the students taken as standard would it not?
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

I wonder if I should challenge this if the scores are within the paperwork that I will getting, and ask for clarification on the relevence if this is the case.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Hi there. I think i have just tracked down what you have read on 'the other site'. I read it as taking children with higher scores not during appeal but from sept 2010 as a selection process? Forgive me if i have this completely wrong/school etc :oops:
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I haven't read the info on 'the other site' so can't comment on that.

Assuming the op is correct then I would tend to agree that appeals panels tend to favour the highest scoring applicants.

Why? For example, if a group of kids, all whom have passed and live locally, their parents will all rightly argue that their child should be admitted to the grammar school. But appeals panels do no let everyone in, even the most deserving cases are sometimes turned down.

Appeal panels tend to award places to those kids who they think are in most need of that place so I can see that the higher scorer would have an advantage even though it's not part of the entry criteria. But appeals don't follow normal entry criteria either.

Just my take on it.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

I wonder if a child who qualifies and does not have a grammar place at all is seen as having 'most need'?

The appeal is in just over two weeks time now, so we will soon find out...... :?
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Just posting to wish you the best of luck.
MrsK40

Post by MrsK40 »

yes, Good Luck :D :D Frustrated... and let us know how you get on
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hello, frustrated

First of all, could I gently ask you, please, not to create multiple threads on appeals? This is explained in the 'PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST' announcement at the top of the page. If anyone requires help at a later date, we often need to refer back to previous information about the case. We just don't have time to trawl back through numerous threads to check for anything that might be relevant.

Thanks for your understanding.
I wonder if a child who qualifies and does not have a grammar place at all is seen as having 'most need'?
This might well be viewed as a deserving case, but it wouldn't necessarily outweigh a strong medical/social case. Ultimately it's for the individual panel to decide.
Could the appeals panel take scores into account when deciding on which appeals to uphold during oversubscription appeals even though this is not a criteria for gaining a place in the first place?
An interesting question. In my view it would be reasonable for the panel to consider score if parents make it part of their case.
e.g. - "My child scored very highly, which suggests to us that a very academic education would be appropriate. Unfortunately we haven't got the offer of a grammar school place at all. Our reasons for this particular grammar school are ....."

Each case should be considered on its own merits. I don't think a panel should be working its way through the appeals, allowing them just on the basis of who scored what.
Etienne
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Thank you for all your good wishes :D

Whatever happens, I will be posting the results to hopefully help others next year.

Still hanging on by (several) threads :D although I won't be starting any new ones now :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now