how do i explain a poor english performance?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DJ

Post by DJ »

Thanks Etienne - you replied so quickly whilst I was changing my post slightly having re-read one of your links.

[/quote]I do understand, but rest assured that if you're not in a position to write much at the moment (through no fault of your own), you are fully entitled to send off the form saying "Details of case to follow".
[quote]

This feels really risky - how far in advance of the hearing would the panel look at the documents? You said two weeks is ideal to submit late evidence, so does that mean that the panel don't look at the docs until then. As you know, my case is built around the HT evidence and if there is none when I submit my appeal, will that prejudice me? For example, if I don't know predicted SATS scores, am I best omitting that part of my statement or am I best sending in no statement at all and do as you suggest?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

how far in advance of the hearing would the panel look at the documents?
1-7 days before the hearing!
[From the Code of Practice] It is the Clerk’s role to send out appeal papers to appellants, the presenting officer and panel members at least seven working days before the hearing (not including the date of the hearing or of sending out the papers).
You said two weeks is ideal to submit late evidence, so does that mean that the panel don't look at the docs until then.
Yes.
As you know, my case is built around the HT evidence and if there is none when I submit my appeal, will that prejudice me?
No
For example, if I don't know predicted SATS scores, am I best omitting that part of my statement or am I best sending in no statement at all and do as you suggest?
If the headteacher's letter is absolutely central to your case, wouldn't it make sense to delay submitting your case until you have the letter and know what it says? The Code of Practice is quite clear:
They [the parents] should be told that they may submit additional information any time up to the hearing but that, if they provide anything new too close to the hearing date which the panel thinks may be significant, the panel may need to adjourn to allow all parties the opportunity to consider it.
In my view 'too close to the hearing' means 'if the panel have less than 1-3 days to read the papers'. Bearing in mind that another couple of days is needed for the appeal administrators to post late papers on to the panel, the actual deadline is probably about a week before the hearing (as opposed to the 'ideal' deadline of 2 weeks!).
Etienne
DJ

Post by DJ »

Thanks, I just need to clarify if I understand the situation. I can submit crucial evidence after I submit my original appeal document, but should refer to it in the original document and say that it will follow. As long as I get this in asap, and ideally a fortnight before the hearing, the panel will have enough time to consider the evidence and its delay will not prejudice my appeal? Do all these rules still apply if the GS is a voluntary aided foundation school - I see from the Appeals QandA that LEA schools are more transparent.

If I have to go down this route, my statement will consist of an opening paragraph summarising the grounds of our appeal and that we believe we have extenuating circumstances. Then a paragraph that was to show academic evidence, which I shall allude to and say that I will forward this evidence at a later date. Then a paragraph explaining why it is the right school for our son. Then a paragraph explaining the mitigating circumstances. Then a thank you for your time. Do you think this would be an acceptable compromise? I want to make our appeal clear and don't want to send in late any more information than I need to.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

That sounds fine, although I would omit "opening paragraph summarising the grounds of our appeal and that we believe we have extenuating circumstances". No need to over-complicate things! :) - Keep it simple and straightforward. Panels don't want to spend their time reading superfluous paragraphs. Your written statement needs just three sections - (1) academic (evidence to follow), (2) mitigating circumstances, (3) reasons for needing a place - plus an optional opening line ["Dear Members of the Panel"] and an optional concluding line ["Thank you very much for considering this appeal. I look forward to meeting you and answering any questions you may have"].

All admission authorities (other than private ones) are subject to the same Code of Practice. I've never heard of any panel refusing to accept a late submission (other than a lengthy document on the day of the hearing, which might lead to an adjournment). If they did, they'd be asking for trouble!
Etienne
DJ

Post by DJ »

Thanks. So I don't need to summarise my argument? keep it brief and be polite? Sounds easy! I know this is what you do, but it's really hard to resist the temptation to write and write and write. Thanks for all your advice so far. I'm so grateful.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

So I don't need to summarise my argument?
You will be invited to sum up, if you wish, at the very end of the hearing. Absolutely no need to summarise in your written submission - in a straightforward case it just starts to look unnecessarily repetitive.

Glad to have been of some help. :)
Etienne
DJ

Post by DJ »

Thanks Etienne. Your advice has really reassured me re the HT. I know you are busy but would it be possible for you to look at my statement. I fear it is too long and wordy, but don't know how to get accross my points otherwise. If you can't, no problem. DJ
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, DJ - very diplomatically put.

Sally-Anne and I may occasionally comment in passing, when we're dealing with other, very specific questions, but we rarely have enough time to assess individual statements of appeal or presentations (other than in the most exceptional cases).

There just aren't enough hours in the day!

There is a bit of general advice about setting out an appeal here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#e11
and here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 4&start=10
but you may have seen this already.
Etienne
DJ

Post by DJ »

Thanks Etienne - I knew it was a bit cheeky, but if you don't ask....
Just to bring you up to date: met with HT first thing and she looked me in the eye and told me she hadn't had the information she had needed to write my letter over the weekend, and would do so by end of the day. No comment :? Anyway, the letter has everything I need (predicted high level 5 and other comments) so have everything I need. Have taken a big leap of faith and followed your advice, cutting my ode to wonderful son from over one thousand words to five hundred - gulp. All I have to do now is collate the evidence, highlight the important bits and get it to the school. Is that the easy bit over?
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

am soooo pleased you finally got that letter :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now