independent re-test for 11+

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Do I have to include over-subscription as well? Or just concentrate on non-qualification?
It depends why your application was refused.
• If your son didn't achieve the minimum qualifying score, then you do need to prove academic ability.
• If places are allocated according to score, you could try and argue (if appropriate) that your son was expected to score even more highly than he did - provided that there is sufficient academic evidence to support this.
• If the school is up to its admission number, you have to explain why you want a place (and why this matters).

If in doubt, cover every angle, and the panel can select the information they need. (Important, though, to set your case out clearly to avoid confusion.)
Please post your appeal experience in "Sticky" - Requesting feedback from all areas..... It is such a good read
I agree - and it's very helpful to have the feedback in one place. A pity that some areas are not so forthcoming with information, even though the 'sticky' has been there for over a year.
Etienne
RS

Post by RS »

Many thanks, Etienne.

My older son sat for the 2009 entrance exam and got in. His English Paper score is 68.5 out of 80.
Since both of them go to the same Prep School, and taught by the same English teacher, can I use their English test results as a fair indication that my younger son would have scored similar point on the day had he not "messed" up the paper with ink. Both of them got "2" in their English reports.

Is it better to leave the sibling's achievement out of this "academic evidence"?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Is it better to leave the sibling's achievement out of this "academic evidence"?
I think so. I feel sure the panel would not be willing to take into account academic evidence that relates to a sibling.
Etienne
RS

Post by RS »

DS just had his Holburn reading test. He is 11 two weeks ago, reading age 12y 6 m. Not quite 2 years above his age group that I was hoping for. Will it be good enough as academic evidence.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's fairly good. Probably worth using, but it's up to the individual panel to decide what to make of it.
Etienne
RS

Post by RS »

Hi Etienne

Just posted a draft presentation in the appeal box for your opinion. Should I use bullet points instead??

We received a letter of support from the headmaster (just before they broke up for Easter)!

Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm very sorry - Sally-Anne and I may occasionally comment in passing, when we're dealing with other, very specific questions, but we rarely have enough time to assess individual statements of appeal or presentations (other than in the most exceptional cases). This is explained in the Appeal Box guidelines:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=9907
# You should post a specific question on the Appeals forum, mentioning that background information has been sent to the Appeals Box.
# Please note that we cannot normally deal with wide-ranging or open-ended questions such as "We've emailed our case - what do you think of it?" or "We've sent you a copy of our draft appeal letter - please comment."
and again in the email autoresponse.

There just aren't enough hours in the day!

There is a bit of advice about setting out an appeal here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#e11
and here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 4&start=10
Etienne
RS

Post by RS »

At last, I a letter of support from the Headmaster. DS also had his EP report done today, strong Maths but average English - EP will send the full report out next week!
The "A" day is 26th April - less than 10 school days... away. We still have to send the evidence in. Do you think we have got enough time if we send out all the documents by 12th?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

When does the school term begin?
Etienne
RS

Post by RS »

Happy Easter, Etienne. School terms begins on 19th April. The notice did explain that we have to waive our right to the ten school days notice if we do not rescheduled the appeal for a later date. We just want to get on with it.... we have to contact them soon....