What else will I need?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tracy

Post by Tracy »

T12ACY,

I think that parents tend to believe that the pass mark for a paper is 117, it is not. The pass mark is an aggregate of the 3 scores which must total at least 360.

KCC make allowances for the kids who might be slightly weaker in any one area so allow one paper to be 117, providing of course that the marks are made up elsewhere.

The vr paper of 126 is a pass on that paper of 6, but both other papers are fails. The aggregate of 355 is a fail. It's just so rare for an appeal to be successful with these scores.

As I said before, an appeals panel is going to look for reasons not to allow the appeal and the correlation between the maths and nvr will be the key for them. If the nvr was higher and the maths lower, or vice versa, it would be easier to prove that the result was not representative.

My eldest (yr9) is also brilliant at maths, top set grammar, level 8 last year, but can't do nvr to save her life! Didn't do very well in the 11+ maths either. (Bexley tests when the 4 scores were added together, she was more successful with her vr and eng).

I can really understand where you are coming from but, unfortunately the 11+ rules; it is going to be so very hard to try to get through that sometimes bright kids don't do themselves justice at the 11+.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Thank you Etienne I will take the document to the hearing, but genuinly hope I don't have to produce it!

You say he may have felt a need to emulate his siblings, is that good or bad? DS school reports and grades have all been higher than siblings at relevant stages so if anything DS will be shell shocked not to have passed when his sibllings did.

Tracy - you, quite rightly, point out that 2 papers were fails but do not know the circumstances (not a cold, or because he had fallen out with a friend, or even there was no milk for breakfast!), which led to the Maths result being so poor. Should it be considered that DS perhaps gave his lowest performance at the very best because of this I will argue that this paper would have easily been a pass of 120+ ordinarily. If this is accepted, and I fail to see why not given some of the successful appeals from situations described for extenuating circumstances, then surely they must consider from evidence of level 5 SAT's he is suitable?!

I have spoken with the HT of both the current and proposed schools. They both say in their professional opinions he is a GS ablility student and that our case is relevent. Current HT did not put forward appeals for students with higher marks because they did the best they could, and is not supporting some parents in their hearings because of this. She is quite strict about this and will not be persauded, so I trust her professional opinion.

I suppose what I am trying to get across is that the KT results are not a fair representation and I can prove it. What I was looking for was some constructive comments on how to link in the specific school to my apeal, so thank you all for your help with this :lol:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You say he may have felt a need to emulate his siblings, is that good or bad?
If it happened to be the case, then it's an extenuating circumstance.
What I was looking for was some constructive comments on how to link in the specific school to my apeal
Sibling connection?
Are there any subjects he excels at which the school is particularly noted for?
Etienne
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

[/quote]Sibling connection?
Are there any subjects he excels at which the school is particularly noted for?[/quote]

Well yes Maths, they are noted in Ofsted report for participating strongly in the 'Maths Challenge' and we have first hand experience of the excellent Maths department via older siblilng.

Also the Ofsted report states the school has previously not done so well in English and should seek to improve their standards, an area in which my DS would benefit from should they carry this indicator out and I fully expect they will.

Very helpful comments Etienne, Thank you!

:D
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

T12ACY - please don't think the comments I'm making are negative, you need to look at your case through the eyes of someone who doesn't know your son at all.
It's better to approach a case this way and that means you focus on getting the correct academic to the appeal panel, such high grades etc that they can't argue with it. You need them to completely disregard the 11+ results full stop. It's a mountain to climb but it can be done. :D
There's many people on this site that will tell you that they wish they had done things differently and that their highly intelligent child, all high level 5, have had unsuccessful appeals as a result.:cry:
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Tracy wrote:T12ACY - please don't think the comments I'm making are negative, you need to look at your case through the eyes of someone who doesn't know your son at all.
It's better to approach a case this way and that means you focus on getting the correct academic to the appeal panel, such high grades etc that they can't argue with it. You need them to completely disregard the 11+ results full stop. It's a mountain to climb but it can be done. :D
There's many people on this site that will tell you that they wish they had done things differently and that their highly intelligent child, all high level 5, have had unsuccessful appeals as a result.:cry:
Hi Tracy, I simply think the relevant facts can't be published on a forum like this, hence many will read DS results and think 'what is she on, those scores are very average!'. You are correct to say all who move to appeal must evidence Grammar School academic achievment, which is what we have. The hints and tips gleaned over the past couple of days have helped enormously and have made me think about how best to approach this. We remain hopeful, but realistic over the chances. They are low, but there is a chance especially with a strong sibling link.
What seems most ridiculous is I have been advised to ignore my local GS where the siblings are and apply to a GS over 15 miles away, they have 'plenty of spaces and will snap up a boy of that ability'! (actual quote.....)
bingybongy

Post by bingybongy »

Hi, just thought you might be interested to know that they have a scale to work out how many extra marks to add on appeal for traumatic circumstances:

Type of trauma and % added
Recent death of parent or close relative - 5%
Recent death of distant family member - 4%
Witness to distressing event on day of exam - 3%
Hay fever - 2%
Broken limb on the mend - 2%
Stress or anxiety - 1%
Headache - 1%

Not sure if this is helpful, but I got this from the BBC's website
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I have seen this before, I think it's for the GCSEs.
bingybongy

Post by bingybongy »

I guess that they would use similar figures for the 11+ though - probably has some statistical basis to it.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

The bend over backwards to help the 16 yr olds get their gcses, but when it comes to helping 10/11 year old kids sit the one off 11+......, don't hold your breath!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now