question for etienne or anyone else in the know.......

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

frustrated

Post by frustrated »

I see your point, but as the appeal hearing is at a difficult time of the day for most of my close friends and family members, I am having to go alone, which is daunting.

I didn't think that it would have an adverse effect. I wonder if anyone with experience of appeal panels would know for sure if this would go against me? Am in a bit of a dilemma now.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Tracy wrote:Surely you want the panel to study the facts of your case and not be influenced by the attendance of someone who has no training/expertise in appeals panels.

How would a politician know whether the appeal procedure was correct or not, no more than the average person in the street would?

The appeals panel may even take the view that the case must be weak in order for a politician to attend.

You know your case better than anyone else. You will do better without a politician's attendance.
As frustrated said, I too was strongly advised to do this by the HT and will say this if asked, or might just add it to my opening statement. After all I am new to all of this, like lots of others, and simply took advice from HT. I imagine the councillor would know if the process had been carried out according to the guidelines as he should have looked in to it, and has attended numerous hearings in the past. I will probably know just as much but as I will otherwise be going alone thought it may be a good idea, of course I could always review this decision. Anyone willing to offer to be my support???? Perhaps we could trade 'frustrated'? I will come with you and you can come with me?

There is also the 0.1% chance the appeal panel may have the alternative view that my case is so strong the presence of a politician may mean they can't possibly say no? :lol: I can only dream :roll:
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

That sounds good, T12ACY! :lol:

Getting in touch with my local politician was something that I was STRONGLY advised to do by someone in the Edcuation Authority.

Anyone with some appeals experience who could throw some light on things?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

You can do it. It only takes 1 person to deliver the facts! :D

Yes, you will be nervous, but appeals panels are normally very nice and caring.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

LOL we sound like billy no mates don't we. I am sure we can't be the only ones in this situation. My councillor said he has attended loads of hearings, some have been won and some not. So those won can't have been affected by his presence.....
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Tracy wrote:You can do it. It only takes 1 person to deliver the facts! :D

Yes, you will be nervous, but appeals panels are normally very nice and caring.
Yes but with the facts I am going to be presenting there is no way on earth I am going to get through it without 17 boxes of tissues :cry:
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

I can relate to that, T12ACY!!!! :)

My local councillor is very keen to attend the hearing with me, and has experience of appeals. I don't, and I am nervous. I know appeal panels are very nice, but it doesn't stop me feeling :?
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

frustrated wrote:I know appeal panels are very nice, but it doesn't stop me feeling :?
I know how you feel frustrated - I'm dreading it.

I have everything crossed for you (and T12ACY)!! Biggest virtual buckets of luck on there way to you both!!!
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Thankyou, Twinkles. Hope yours is successful too :D

Is there anyone with actual experience on appeal panels out there who could shed some light on the view that appeals panels take on cases where a politician attends? It really would help me to make up my mind once and for all (I hope).

Tracy, I really appreciate your comments, as always they are helpful, reassuring and very supportive, :D although if I could get an opinion from anyone in the actual know, it would be very much appreciated. Anyone?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Our usual advice is strongly against.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#a12

I've no problem with a friend (who happens to be a councillor) accompanying you for moral support.

But if the panel become aware that this is an elected politician, or if he or she intervenes in the appeal (and is offering more than moral support), then the atmosphere changes, the appeal becomes even more formal, and it's more difficult for any sort of rapport to develop between panel and appellant. In the vast majority of cases your best hope is to win over the panel so that they exercise their discretion in your favour - there's hardly ever a legal or technical issue that's going to affect the outcome of an appeal, which the panel or clerk are not perfectly capable of sorting out without the intervention of an "expert" representing the appellant.

In my view, parents on their own (or with a partner or friend) stand a much better chance than those accompanied by a solicitor/appeals consultant/politician.

The appeals system was established precisely so that you don't need someone in an official position with you at the hearing. It's why you're not going to a court of law.

I'm all in favour of parents seeking help and advice beforehand, but I wouldn't dream of attending an appeal to assist someone. I would almost certainly spoil their chances! :roll:

See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#a11
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now